Learning Nitrox, with AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it with AOW, i didn't, and had to go back and do it seperately. It's worth it.

PADI requires two dives with their Nitrox course, so if your sole purpose is to just get wet, that's fine. BUT, if you're on vacation to dive and explore, you'll get your courses done sooner, giving you more time to dive where you WANT to dive, not where the shop arranges.

cavegirl:
PADI seems to be the at more dive shops (at least in N. America). Just curious why would PADI not be the choice? Thanks.
Yes there are lots of PADI shops, there are also lots of McDonalds restaurants but I don't make a habit of eating there.
Having taught through PADI, ANDI and TDI I feel that PADI program does not cover some of the essentials of nitrox diving, the TDI course is more comprehensive but does not require in water dives, the ANDI CSU program teaches you to use any nitrox mix from 23 to 50% and examine 7 distict applications of nitrox diving, so that would be my choice. I also see the advantage of piggybacking AOW and nitrox and since you are asking about the 2 together in may be the way to go.

Combining AOW and nitrox is very cool IF you want to go into "learning mode."

Some folks like to dive in (so to speak) when taking classes. Combining the two classes means that you and your instructor can spend some quality time getting into techniques and in-depth learnng. If you learn better by spreading out your learning, then separating the classes might be better.

Earlier this spring I had 3 people who wanted to combine AOW and nitrox. We spent a couple of weeks doing the prep work via on-line study guides. Then we met and spent a couple of days reviewing, learning some more, and doing the advanced dives on a combination of air and nitrox. It was a good experince because these guys were eager to dive in and get as much knowledge and experince as they could in a short time. Concentrated learning. On other occasions, students have wanted to relax a little more, and spread out their AOW over a couple of weeks, and then added nitrox a month later. In each instance, these guys had good experineces, but their experieces were different.

It helps if you have a good handle on your own learning style and if you have a realistic assessment of how much you want to invest in your learning. If you can dive in, the combo of AOW and nitrox is a very cool way to go.

I'm taking my NAUI Nitrox class this Monday, and AOW the following week. Seems to be the way to go (at least for these classed).
With NAUI at least, you don't have to have any dives to be nitrox certified. If you do a dive (say on your AOW course) tho, you get a different card (Says "Nitrox Diver" instead of just Nitox certified)

MB:
Combining AOW and nitrox is very cool IF you want to go into "learning mode."
Earlier this spring I had 3 people who wanted to combine AOW and nitrox. We spent a couple of weeks doing the prep work via on-line study guides.

I was thinking of ordering the materials to study first and then during the summer vacation in warm water to do the dives.

But "on-line" study guides? What's involved in this?

cavegirl:
That's my own gig. One way I teach is to have students study 3-4 chapters, then work on a study guide that I send them electronically. If there are several students taking the class, I encourage "cheating" by having the students work with each other and exchange information while doing these guides. When they finish with a guide, they return it to me for my review and feedback. Students complete the text this way - a few study guides each covering a few chapters. The next step is for us to meet for a live review. Because they've read the text and competed the study guides, this really IS a review and it means we can focus on real life applications. That's been a big deal for many students - it bridges the gap between the theory and the practice. We also test out different analyzers, plan a few dives, and finally we dive. Some folks say you don't need dives. That's not my position. While you are trying to learn something, its helpful to really learn it... not just the theory but real applications, and that's what I build in to the dives. What happens when the captain gets to the site and there's a fishing boat tied up there? Captain scratches and goes to a new site with a different depth that you didn't plan for - can we use the mix but alter the plan? What if your computer goes out - let's go back to the tables. And since you have two different non-standard mixes (like 34% and 40% EAN) then we'll use the equivalent air depths for the new plan... I also use the dives to help students fine tune their diving in any area they wish - buoyancy control, shed a few pounds off the weight belt, master a different kick style, etc.

That's just my approach. I also teach nitrox in a standard live class way for folks who prefer that, but the opportunity to read at home and get feedback along the way has been popular among a lot of folks. I will point out that there are other "on-line" versions of this course, and some versions allow you to complete the class and never see an instructor. I've met a few graduates of these classes and it confirms my observation that "you get what you pay for." Nitrox isn't inherently difficult, but its different, and there are lots of "gray areas" and judgement calls to make. I've been fairly unimpressed with the knowledge that students had after taking the short on-line classes that didn't include a thorough live review, and an available instructor along the way to provide feedback and mentoring. Of course I recognize that my expectations for instruction are different than many people - I teach teachers for a living, and I frequently see good teachers who really make a difference. I'm also fully aware that there's some pretty low quality teaching in the dive industry.

So back to the original question about combining AOW and nitrox. If its a real advanced class (not just a few guided dives), and if its a real nitrox class (not just a presentation of a couple of formulas), then these two classes really complement each other. But if you learn better by spreading out your learning, and doing things in small bits over a longer period of time, then it might be better to take a slow approach to the advanced class, and then take the nitrox class later.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you!

MB:
That's my own gig. One way I teach is to have students study 3-4 chapters, then work on a study guide that I send them electronically. If there are several students taking the class, I encourage "cheating" by having the students work with each other and exchange information while doing these guides. When they finish with a guide, they return it to me for my review and feedback. Students complete the text this way - a few study guides each covering a few chapters. The next step is for us to meet for a live review. Because they've read the text and competed the study guides, this really IS a review and it means we can focus on real life applications. That's been a big deal for many students - it bridges the gap between the theory and the practice. We also test out different analyzers, plan a few dives, and finally we dive. Some folks say you don't need dives. That's not my position. While you are trying to learn something, its helpful to really learn it... not just the theory but real applications, and that's what I build in to the dives. What happens when the captain gets to the site and there's a fishing boat tied up there? Captain scratches and goes to a new site with a different depth that you didn't plan for - can we use the mix but alter the plan? What if your computer goes out - let's go back to the tables. And since you have two different non-standard mixes (like 34% and 40% EAN) then we'll use the equivalent air depths for the new plan... I also use the dives to help students fine tune their diving in any area they wish - buoyancy control, shed a few pounds off the weight belt, master a different kick style, etc.

That's just my approach. I also teach nitrox in a standard live class way for folks who prefer that, but the opportunity to read at home and get feedback along the way has been popular among a lot of folks. I will point out that there are other "on-line" versions of this course, and some versions allow you to complete the class and never see an instructor. I've met a few graduates of these classes and it confirms my observation that "you get what you pay for." Nitrox isn't inherently difficult, but its different, and there are lots of "gray areas" and judgement calls to make. I've been fairly unimpressed with the knowledge that students had after taking the short on-line classes that didn't include a thorough live review, and an available instructor along the way to provide feedback and mentoring. Of course I recognize that my expectations for instruction are different than many people - I teach teachers for a living, and I frequently see good teachers who really make a difference. I'm also fully aware that there's some pretty low quality teaching in the dive industry.

So back to the original question about combining AOW and nitrox. If its a real advanced class (not just a few guided dives), and if its a real nitrox class (not just a presentation of a couple of formulas), then these two classes really complement each other. But if you learn better by spreading out your learning, and doing things in small bits over a longer period of time, then it might be better to take a slow approach to the advanced class, and then take the nitrox class later.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you!

Always good to see an example of the way it SHOULD be done.

Safe, and happy diving days to you.

cavegirl:
I was thinking of ordering the materials to study first and then during the summer vacation in warm water to do the dives.

We do exactly that with our instructor in Maui. We get the materials, study, do the knowledge reviews, then when we get to Maui we go everything with our instructor. He's great about reviewing everything thoroughly and quizzing us orally to check our knowledge. Even if he didn't do things this way, I'd get the materials first to read/study before vacation. It's better to be over-prepared than not! :wink:

I sure like how MB does his classes though...wish I lived closer to him so I could take advantage.

Back
Top Bottom