Learning to spearfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF:
I prefer a simmons 10x40 scope on my polespear. I tried the red dot on the hawaiian sling, but it was just too hard to get the stock up to my shoulder and see the dot.
Now I just fish with torpedoes and depth charges. BTW, has anyone seen any large squid lately? A few have escaped my grasp. I heard rumors that they were found on a beach somewhere. That's MY CALAMARI!!!! I'd like my catch back. ;P

wtfh?

I've done both for a long time.

Free diving for the last 25yrs, and SCUBA for the last 10 yrs (since I got certified)

I enjoy both, but SCUBA is a lot faster.

The SCUBA dives last for about 25-45 min each, depending on the depth, usually 3 per dive day.

The Freedive dives, last 4+ hrs and are very relaxing slow paced dives.

I can't perform like a 15yrs old any more, so a 2 min, 65 fsw dive, is no longer real for me, my freedives are a 10 sec 30 fsw dive and most of the time I'm scoping the reef from the suface in a very mild current if any at all.

With SCUBA, I can go where no one goes to fish and drop at 70 fsw for 25 min in the middle of the ocean in any current while using a surface float so the Cptn. can keep track of us, usually do these dives in teams of 2 or 3 divers at a time in the water.

To the new guy, I recomend learning SCUBA well, get some experience with the gear and familiarize with it before adding a gun to the mix, in my case I learned the spear before the SCUBA so adapting was second nature.

Try freediving if posible to get familiar with the gun and, that way when the 2 merge, it would be easy and SAFE to you and other divers.

The idea of instruction is a great one, I wish I had that option 25 yrs ago, I had to learn with a bunch of newbies that all had the perfect tip for catching the big fish, none of them dive anymore to my knowledge.

Spearfishiong is something that either you like it or you don't, try not to be some gunho with a gun that everyone try to avoid, be safe all the time, and treat a speargun as you would treat any gun.

Welcome to the brotherhood....................

Here is a pic

65fsw

Check the float line.....

Me and my dad went out Friday only our first spearfishing trip. I have been a few other people but I haven't every shot before and this was my dad's first trip. I missed a snapper cause I was out of range. He trying to shoot a nice Ling but he still had his gun on safety. And he got one Sheep head.

When we came up from our dive the wind had picked up plus it was raining and lighting. So called it a day and heading in.

We tried to go again on Sunday but weather didn't agree.

Maybe we will be able to go this weekend.

I got me a new Rhino on Saturday so I am ready to go.

PS. I am writing a more in depth report and will post it once I finish.

who cares if you use scuba to spear, id like to see the guys who speared that grouper at 400 ft do that while freediving... :comeandge

California Diver:
who cares if you use scuba to spear, id like to see the guys who speared that grouper at 400 ft do that while freediving... :comeandge

Do we need to hash this out again?

deadend:
Do we need to hash this out again?

Hell, why not?

In defense of scuba spearing (I'm primarily a free diver when spearing and still have a ton to learn) it's way more complicated. Free diving...I'm out of breath so I go up. I don't shoot monster fish because he'll drag me down maybe and I'll lose my gun at best. It's more simple to me. Scuba....arrgh, I'm invincible. Shoot those big ones....battle him if you don't stone him and bring in the sharks, which hang around for your safety stop. fun fun. And there's always that bigger fish down about 180 feet or so that I have enough air to get....I dont know. They both can be extemely challenging if you want to push it. Anyone who says scuba spearing isn't a challenge......don't kid yourself. You can take it as far as you want...if you got the huevos for it.

Back
Top Bottom