Learning Underwater Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two major reasons that I have not recommended the PADI UW photography speciality..

1) I know more about photography then the guy teaching the class at my LDS. While I am very sure that it's likely a worthwhile class for some, it's a bit sad that the UW *expert* is really not all that much of an expert.

2) I've not taken the class, so how could I possibly recommend it?

Of course if I KNEW of an awesome photographer that was doing the PADI class I'd highly recommend it! :D

As with so many things, the instructor makes a huge difference. I'd personally ask to see a portfolio before taking a photo class from anyone, but I maybe be a bit of a photo snob as I've taught photography.

I'm BETTING that one would get a LOT more out of a session with a working photographer rather than a PADI class. There are photographers that offer such things, unfortunately they tend to be rather expensive, and often are done on live Aboards as diving professional photographers are generally killing several birds with one big ROCK! IOW's they are on assignment, or at least shooting stock, and doing the student thing as well.

So for example if Stephen Frink happend to be teaching the PADI photo speciality.. well I'd be all over that. :D

I haven't responded one way or another, but if I did, I would have fallen in line with the others of whom you speak insofar as anyone (including me in a big way) can order any book they want from Amazon or elsewhere and get it in a few days and have a handy reference source for years to come, but many if not most people are not at the right time or place to take a PADI photography course. None of the dive shops in my area, that I know of based on the training courses listed on their web pages, offer it and as the previous poster suggested, I think it would be a bit of a crap shoot as to whether or not the instructor would be someone who is really into UW photography and knows all about it, or is only a little beyond being an interested amateur him/herself but has been certified to regurgitate in a fairly rote fashion whatever is in the PADI instructor manual for that course.

FWIW, I recently purchased the Digital UW photography book by Jack and Sue Drafhl (I think I'm maligning those names a bit) and really really liked it and thought that it had a lot of useful info.

One thing I think a lot of us forget is that the target market for defined UW Photo courses is the complete beginner to someone who has taken some uw photos, is not pleased with the result and is looking for tips. From what I have seen, even those who aren't very good photographers who teach the course DO have things to offer - they may, perhaps, be excellent divers and working on diving skills will vastly improve photographs in many cases. As always, there is more to the story.

The most important thing about taking an UW Photo course - or most Specialty courses reallly - is to have an idea of what you think you would like to accomplish and to talk to your instructor about those goals. After some discussion, you may find that your goals are completely different than you thought they would be but you should be confident that the instructor has your needs in mind. This is one of those courses that no one has to do so you can afford to be as picky as you want!

Book learning is fabulous, but hands on is by far the best way to go. Sometimes, even simply getting a little tip, tidbit or feedback will push you farther in the right direction than simply reading and trying to work it out for yourself!

Does this mean I think everyone should be teaching uw photo? No. Do I think you have to be the calibre of, say, Chris Bangs (sorry Chris! you were the first name to pop in my head) to have something beneficial to pass to people who want to improve? No. I think this is such a dynamic course that the instructor/student relationship is the be-all...the materials are nice, I'm sure, but there are lots of books, lots of web sites and lots of galleries out there to look at, read, study and learn from. And I don't think there is anyone out there who can't learn something from someone...

To the absolute beginner the PADI course would be beneficial even if all the do is read the course materials. what is in question is how much added value the instructor can add to the class. Having someone such as Steven Frink teach a one week course is good for anyone, but much more valuable to someone who is well beyond the beginner level.

When I taught diving as a PADI instructor, I was not in agreement with some of their policies, one being trying to talk a diver who just finished the OW course to go directly into advanced. same for the specialties including photography regardless of how much the student knew about photography. Like Jim Church stated, you have to be a good diver fully in control before attempting to take photos underwater.

In reality I consider most of these specialties as merit badges. The Boat Diving, and dive site specific specialties such as the Blue Corner specialty in palau are key examples. The is due to the fact that so little time and/or dive are required to meet the requirements.

The only specialty I did teach was Photography and I went well beyond the minimum requirements of the course. the key is to find a instructor who is passionate about the specific type of diving being taught AND is also very experienced in it , which usually goes hand in hand.

Off my soapbox!

CB

Going back to my experience, I knew the instructor to be a reasonably talented ammie (well, technically a pro because he has sold pics, but....) who has spent a lot of time diving, taking pics and teaching both. Again, in no small part serendipity, the open water (boat) dives were with a pro who is a friend of the instructor who just happened to be here for an UW Photo seminar he was giving. So we all talked about various strategies, PnS's vs. dSLR's, and then I followed him for about half the time and watched him (I think he was supposed to be "my buddy" but it had been agreed he was diving "same time, same ocean").

Just remembered, we all stopped for pizza dinner and pulled out the computers to review/critique the pictures -- so I got the benefit of the pro's and my instructor's critiques -- and got to review their pics too.

Perhaps I just lucked out -- or maybe I made my own "luck."

Two important things I got from an underwater photography course (NAUI) run at my local LDS were firstly an opportunity to have several (4) ocean dives using someone else's gear to help me decide if I wanted to get into it and secondly a semi regular local buddy who shares the interest in photography. Having someone willing to go slow enough to allow you to practice and build skills is important. Neither of the above had anything to do with the skills of the instructor but they made it well worth my while.

My experience with the PADI Underwater Photography Course was less than positive.
I took it while on the Sea Dancer liveaboard. I didn't really feel I learned anything.
The instructor really didn't spend a whole lot of time with me. After all, he had a lot of responsibilitites as one of the crew on the liveaboard, including shooting and editing video. It was sort of a spur of the moment decision, since I was on the liveaboard and had fairly recently acquired my Nikonos V. But, if I had to do it again, I would not have wasted my time and money.

One very useful way to learn for me was from a dedicated underwater photography dive trip. All on the trip were underwater photographers. Some were very experienced and using the latest equipment, others were more like beginners. There was no formal instruction per se, but we made excellent use of critique sessions. I was able to hear feedback from other uw photographers on my pictures. I also learned a great deal hearing feedback on the other photographers' pictures. I think I learned far more on this trip than my week on the Sea Dancer taking the PADI Underwater Photography Course!

As far as Jack and Sue Drafahl go, I was fortunate enough to attend a class they taught at my LDS. They live in Oregon and teach a class at my LDS from time to time. They are knowledgeable and personable and excellent instructors. Although I didn't buy their book (which was for sale at the seminar, of course!) I learned a lot from attending their class. I highly recommend taking their class if you have a chance to do so.

My two cents for the day,

Ellen

ornate_wrasse:
My experience with the PADI Underwater Photography Course was less than positive.

I think I learned far more on this trip than my week on the Sea Dancer taking the PADI Underwater Photography Course!

Ellen

That's too bad. Sounds like a perfect example of what most here are saying: choose your instructor! It's not the PADI course (or the SSI or insert agency here) course per se, but how it is taught!

ornate_wrasse:
One very useful way to learn...a dedicated underwater photography dive trip. There was no formal instruction per se, but we made excellent use of critique sessions. I was able to hear feedback from other uw photographers on my pictures. I also learned a great deal hearing feedback on the other photographers' pictures.

Absolutely! Feedback on your own images is wonderful; being able to also hear feedback on other's is doubly wonderful!

Listen to what "non" photographers/mentors have to say, too - sometimes they will see things that "pros" won't :wink:

alcina:
Sounds like a perfect example of what most here are saying: choose your instructor! It's not the PADI course (or the SSI or insert agency here) course per se, but how it is taught!

Couldn't agree more. And this applies to any dive course - the materials and outline are just the start. It's what the instructor does and the experience you have that makes the difference,

Back
Top Bottom