Leaving plate attached to doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Scubapro manifold, and it doesn't have enough space to really carry it around the valves comfortably, unless you have the hands of a child.... :( (I got a really good deal on it, and I know it's coming from someone who treated it well) I can carry it by one tank.....if that makes sense, like cradling one tank in my arms, with an arm stuck around the tank through the manifold....but it's really convenient to use the plate.

My inflator hose is bungeed to my webbing, how do you all have it setup so your wing easily separates from your plate?

The lp inflator hose is bound to the corrogated hose by one or two pieces of mtb innertube segments.

The inflator/hose assembly is run through a loop of bungee attatched to the tri-glide of the left chest d-ring. The bungee loop should be big enough for you to pass the inflator through it.

When I had doubles, I kept my bp/w set up most of the time. I would take the bp/w off to store it at home or after diving salt water to rinse off everything. If you ever dive salt water, then definitely take apart for a better rinse. As for fill stations, most don't mind leaving them together. However, if you're going to leave your tanks because there's a line and you're going to go grab lunch, then be courteous and just leave the tanks. This way the person doing fills won't have to be responsible for the regs or bp/w, or have to deal with the extra bulk.

I'd recommend taking the wing off.

THE primary way wings get damaged is via pinch flats.

A pinch flat occurs when a wing is trapped between two hard objects. It's not hard to see how a set of assembled doubles, lined up waiting for a fill, could result in the sing getting banded between adjacent tanks.

Are you sure the High Pressure Fill Station Technion(tank monkey) will exercise proper care of your rig when you are not present?

Pinch flats cause the inner bladder to be cut WITHOUT leaving any perceptible mark on the outer shell of the wing. This is the same way a bike inner tube fails when you hit a curb, the inner tube is pinched between the tire casing and the rim. No mark on the tire casing, but pairs of holes in the inner tube.

If you need the plate on the doubles to move them, take the wing off, and reinstall the plate.

Tobin

The (non-professional) in the group always removes her wing and B/P. But then I dive out of the trunk of my car when necessary (no tank stands to use etc).
Since I have to trunk dive occasionally , I ALWAYS have the wing and B/P off. I put them on when I get ready to dive etc.

So I always also FILL with just the doubles , no wing , B/P attached.

I have had wing damage before from leaving it on the doubles , so I stopped doing it (in transport , filling etc)

Just my .2135 cents worth.

Da Beano

P.S. I have a shorter inflator hose on my wing , so I don't need to bungy it to the webbing. It sits over my left shoulder nice and comfy like too. :D
Hey , I said I was non-professional.

We keep our equipment in the back of the pick-up with a bed liner and a topper. Diving fresh water we'll leave the gear set up for the whole trip...sometimes a month at a time, and keep some air in the wing to minimize the pinch risk. It's all pretty easy to slide around on the bed liner when we need to move it to the tailgate for filling purposes. Plus we have enough gear in the back to keep it from sliding around too much while on the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom