Leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Springs straps? It might have been cheaper to loosen your original rubber straps. Rubber is a spring, too, BTW.

pescador775:
King, who knew? Nothing in the intro. Volleyball? You're screwed. Using fast twitch muscles only. Are you using nicotine or beta blockers? Try L arginine. This amino acid is reputed to dilate arteries. Like most "health food" claims, take with a grain of salt (also good). Get on the calf machine.

But I need my fast twitch, 20" vert. to get up off the hardwood as soon as my tootsies touch down.

I'm going to have to go with more water and more stretching for the time being. I leave for the Keys in a week. Maybe a little additional weight training after that.

Haven't smoked nicotine, or anything else for that matter, since college days.

What are beta blockers in again? I should know. The wife is a PA. Hey, I could go wake her up...

pescador775:
Springs straps? It might have been cheaper to loosen your original rubber straps. Rubber is a spring, too, BTW.

I know, I know; but if they were tight enough not to fall off, they gave me leg cramps. If they were loose enough to be OK, they fell off. (Just ask Turtleguy :D )

If nothing else works, it's worth a try!

Stretching is bull. The doctors that commented on this article, shown in abbreviated form, referred to "myths" in sports medicine and that stretching seemed to fall into that category:

>>>>Sept. 6, 2002 — Contrary to popular thinking, stretching before or after exercise does not prevent muscle soreness or muscle injury, according to a systematic review of controlled trials in the Aug. 31 issue of the British Medical Journal.
Stretching before or after exercising does not confer protection from muscle soreness," write Rob D. Herbert and Michael Gabriel from the University of Sydney in New South Wales, Australia. "Stretching before exercising does not seem to confer a practically useful reduction in the risk of injury, but the generality of this finding needs testing. Insufficient research has been done with which to determine the effects of stretching on sporting performance."

From a literature search, the authors identified five randomized or quasi-randomized studies of moderate quality which reported sufficient data on the effects of stretching on muscle soreness to be included in the analysis. Three studies evaluated stretching after exercising, and two evaluated stretching before exercising. Pooled analysis of data from 77 healthy, young adult subjects suggested that stretching produced small and statistically insignificant reductions in muscle soreness 24 hours after exercising, estimated to be only 0.9 mm on a 100 mm scale (95% confidence interval [CI], -2.6 to 4.4 mm).

"Most athletes will consider effects of this magnitude too small to make stretching to prevent later muscle soreness worthwhile," the authors write.<<<<

(clipped) from MEDSCAPE

King, let's hope the Keys are above high tide. Force 4 hurricane coming.
Beta blockers are a blood pressure or arrythmia drug. They can interfere with heart action in athletes.

ZzzKing:
I get cramps when diving. Specifically in the back of my calves. Are there specific types of fins that either contribute to or help alleviate this? I've only owned and dove Aqualung fins.

Thanks for the input.

I had the same problem when I started diving. I switched from the Aeris Velocity fins to the Cressi Rondine fins, and no more cramps. I hope this helps.

pescador775:
Stretching is bull. The doctors that commented on this article, shown in abbreviated form, referred to "myths" in sports medicine and that stretching seemed to fall into that category:

>>>>Sept. 6, 2002 — Contrary to popular thinking, stretching before or after exercise does not prevent muscle soreness or muscle injury, according to a systematic review of controlled trials in the Aug. 31 issue of the British Medical Journal.
Stretching before or after exercising does not confer protection from muscle soreness," write Rob D. Herbert and Michael Gabriel from the University of Sydney in New South Wales, Australia. "Stretching before exercising does not seem to confer a practically useful reduction in the risk of injury, but the generality of this finding needs testing. Insufficient research has been done with which to determine the effects of stretching on sporting performance."

From a literature search, the authors identified five randomized or quasi-randomized studies of moderate quality which reported sufficient data on the effects of stretching on muscle soreness to be included in the analysis. Three studies evaluated stretching after exercising, and two evaluated stretching before exercising. Pooled analysis of data from 77 healthy, young adult subjects suggested that stretching produced small and statistically insignificant reductions in muscle soreness 24 hours after exercising, estimated to be only 0.9 mm on a 100 mm scale (95% confidence interval [CI], -2.6 to 4.4 mm).

"Most athletes will consider effects of this magnitude too small to make stretching to prevent later muscle soreness worthwhile," the authors write.<<<<

(clipped) from MEDSCAPE

Doctors know everything right?

Be careful, plano. I have more articles at hand. As far as exercise knowledge, I am a former Mr Maryland. I'm backing their opinions 100%. Generally, I respect physicians. However, many purport to understand diving medicine or sports medicine wherein they should stick to their day jobs. Like many, they share opinions and findings among themselves which may contradict the experiences of some patients. I wonder if anybody's listening. However, as a generalization they do seem to have a handle on statistical studies or endeavors that require studying, analyzing or memorizing large amounts of information. In this case, they also cited a study done by the US Army which seems to confirm the conclusions of the above article. Furthermore, as I said, there are articles which confirm what I've suspected, that stretching does nothing to enhance strength exercises. This has been my experience and I am more than willing to give them credit.

Hi,

I got a terrible foot cramp and had to do my OW that same week (last weekend) and was freaking out. So, down some OJ, eat bananas and stretch, stretch, stretch.....don't forget your toes! Did 4 OW dives w/out a problem.
Good Lcuk!

pescador775:

(clipped) from MEDSCAPE

Personally, I stretch to wake my legs up and get the blood flowing through them. It's really hard to step on a court and go all out if I'm still stiff from the drive over. I don't recall this being as much of a problem 10 years ago...

I very rarely get muscle or ligament injuries or soreness. Every six months or so I'll roll an ankle but that's about it. Have no idea if that is tied to stretching or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom