Legend vs ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If cost is a factor, Z2 is the way to go. It is cheaper than most of the high end regs on the market and a swivel 1st and a swivel 2nd can be added later. ...

FYI, my Z2 is swivel free all around... as are all the others I've seen :)

FWIW, took a look at the ST1 in the shop tonight. Looks slick. Sexy looking first stage ... But I'd still go buy the Z2 :popcorn:

And all Atomics have awesome hose routing for doubles :D

Looks like a lot of fans of Atomics gear on here. I have a swivel on my current second stage that The LDS said they could install on my Legend if I get that, so it takes that aspect out of it. Then its price, service, and of course performance that are what I'm looking at. Price isn't as big a deal since I plan on keeping this reg for quite some time, but it does come down to value. If there is comparable performance at a lower price then its a no brainer.

I did test them out of the water which I know is inaccurate, but it should give some comparison between the two I would think. It's either that, or look at machine readings which could be imperceptible to the average diver. I couldn't imagine too many LDS that let you dive a bunch of regs before only buying one. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm still straddling the fence here since I only know of a few shops that I've noticed Atomics in and a lot more that would service Aqualung. Then again, the two year service interval is nice too in that regard.

Keep the opinions coming and thanks to all for chipping in!

...I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get a new reg set and then service and sell the old one...
I accumulate regulators, not sell them :) Never know when you need "just one more" to complete the team plan...
Oh, of the ones you're contemplating, I like Legends.
Rick

I have and ST1 as my primary and an M1 and my octo, great regs, love them. I have been told that all Atomic regs breath about the same, the big difference in them is what they are made of, ST1 (stainless) T2 (titainum) Z2 (something coated bronze) and so on.

I know I'm probably a little late, but I dive with the Legend and I thinks it's a great reg. I'm not real familiar with Atomics, but the Legend has an auto closure device that seals the first stage as soon as the din fitting or yoke is loosened from the tank. Also, (again I don't know about Atomic) Aqualung gives you free parts kits for life as long as you bought it from a LDS (not Leisurepro), you are the original owner, and you have it serviced every year. That's nice, especially when you look at the cost of high end reg parts kits. They run between $25 and $35, tack that onto $50 or $60 for labor and things are starting to get expensive.

Defiantly hands down go with any of the Atomics. The legend is not in the same class as an Atomic. The legend is just a pretty generic reg in that it offers no innovative features. The atomic has an automatic dive/predive switch so you never have to switch anything. It also has a seat saving orifice in the second stage. Features like these is why the atomic has a 2 year service interval or 300 dives, vs the legends 1 year 100 dives.

Like others have said all the atomics will breathe about the same, this to me shows the quality put into all there regs whether it is $430 or $1500. So go with the one in your budget. The b2 or st1 are great for recreational diving because of the swivel first stage, and swivel on the second stage hose. The st1 ones first stage is more robust then the b2's. If you think you might ever tech dive I would however go for the m1 so it could potentially cross over with you.

Features like these is why the atomic has a 2 year service interval or 300 dives, vs the legends 1 year 100 dives.
The Legend has a two year service interval.
Rick

I'm still indecisive about this. If I go with the Legend, I am thinking LX even though I doubt I'll use the diver adjustment. It's nice to have the option. If Atomics, ST1 due to the stainless option. Obviously both top of the line regs, but the way I see it, this is my life support, so this is where I'll spend the most money in my diving.

The Legend seems more readily repairable incase of a problem while on vacation since it can be found and serviced in a wide variety of places while I'm not sure about the ST1. The ACD feature is also nice, but I haven't had a reg with that feature yet and the dive shop said my last reg was in great shape during its service. The ST1 seems like it cracked open much easier so that seems like it might make it more likely to save air.

I will go tech at some point in the future, but I doubt I'll do much more than light tech. Just basically visit the wrecks that lie just beyond the recreational depths. Keep the thoughts coming and I'll likely make a move the week after Thanksgiving. It'll be my birthday gift to myself.

I would go with the atomic regulator as the regs they have designed will always be around-- they won't leave the market in four or five years.

I just went through the same process myself trying to decide between a Legend LX ACD and a ST1. I finally decided on the Legend because of pricing. The ST1 just seemed like an overkill, specially since i am not a professional. As a matter of observation, i tend to look at what the pros (DM, Instructors, etc) are wearing, and i don't see too many atomics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom