Legend vs ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yupito:
As a matter of observation, i tend to look at what the pros (DM, Instructors, etc) are wearing, and i don't see too many atomics.

In many (most?) dive shops the 'pros' get highly discounted rates on the gear they use so that divers will see and buy those brands. I'm not saying it's bad or wrong. I'm just pointing out that the 'pros' might choose different stuff if they were paying retail for it.

Rich

Two points. First You can get the ST1 sealed from the factory, or take it in to your dive shop and have it sealed any time after you buy. I personally use M1's on my doubles and am going to buy a ST1 for travel gas. I have bought the ST1 first stage instead of M1 1st stage but keep the M1 2nd stage (cave Diving, ambient water pert placement). I highly recommend Atomic great regs I have used Z2, B2 And M1 All worked great, something else to keep in mind if you are not diving in cold water then you may not want to buy sealed as it cost more to service (more time and materials) and as you dive deeper you sacrafice some preformance.

just a few thoughts

I just went through the same process myself trying to decide between a Legend LX ACD and a ST1. I finally decided on the Legend because of pricing. The ST1 just seemed like an overkill, specially since i am not a professional. As a matter of observation, i tend to look at what the pros (DM, Instructors, etc) are wearing, and i don't see too many atomics.

If pricing was an issue, you could've gone for the Z2. Lower price, same performance. What you did was like comparing Honda and Toyota and choosing Honda because the compact Honda Civic was lower priced than a mid-sized Toyota Camry, when in fact you should've done the comparison with the similarly priced Toyota Corolla.

As for dive pros etc. your needs are just the same as theirs. They're doing the same dives you are doing. In fact, a lot of the instructor's UW time is probably spent teaching in 20ft of water kneeling on the sand. :wink: Most of the time you just trade an incremental bit of additional comfort for cost. For serious technical diving etc. there may be a difference in some situations, but only MAYBE.

Reason you see more Aqualung than Atomics is that Aqualung has more dealers. Around me I am seeing more and more Atomics being used by serious divers. (Scubapro, Apeks, and a little bit of Aqualung being the other makes.)

We have the Aqua Lung Titan's in our rental department and use them everyday. They are very reliable and require very little maintenance.

Myself - I use a different reg made by Advanced Diving Products and LOVE it! I would suggest you do your homework first and make sure there is a shop that can service it near you.

REMEMBER - Your regulator is THE most important piece of scuba gear.

I think the servicability is a key but maybe a little less so than I'm thinking. There are no atomics dealers near Charleston, SC so getting it serviced would be a pain. That leads me into the next step which is, what if there is a problem while I'm on vacation? I'd probably go to a rental rig until I got home, but it would be nice to have the option of getting it serviced somewhere.

Performance-wise to me, they seem to be the same. Scuba Diving Magazine has similar scores for them both in terms of comfort and performance. It might come down to the lower price, but also might come down to the ST1 not having that silly gold bling-bling mounthpiece (I know its changeable...).

REMEMBER - Your regulator is THE most important piece of scuba gear.

I actually think my drysuit is more important.

There are many many good regulators on the market and "fit" is much less an issue with a reg. I'd feel quite comfortable diving regs other than my Atomics (I'm actually building a 'franken-reg' out of a salvo first and Atomic second stage I've got lying around as a spare singles setup). People just seem to agonize over their reg choices more.

YMMV :)

I actually think my drysuit is more important.

I have a feeling South Florida won't require me to get a dry suit anytime soon! :mooner: My friends have told me this is winter and its in the 80's here. So much for changing seasons I guess.

Gee, I wish I had your decision to make... :wink: Seriously you're comparing (I hate using car analogies, but here goes) a Porsche to a Ferrari. I've never got a chance to use an atomic regulator, but I have used the Legends and a couple other high-end brands, and I can't imagine the Atomics being that much better. My roommate just got a Scubapro MK17 with a s555, and I thought that setup was an awesome breather too. Zeagle regs are another less expensive option but great performing set of regs. I currently use an Aeris atmos pro--and it's like breathing through a straw compared all the other regs I've mentioned. All other things being equal, I think you're always better with an environmentally sealed set of regs. I personally wouldn't spend the money on another set of regs unless they were sealed

An Atomic isn't a gimpy Porsche... it's an Aston Martin Vanquish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom