Legend vs ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy's got a Vanquish. My Atomics are nothing like an Aston Martin ....

My buddy's got a Vanquish. My Atomics are nothing like an Aston Martin ....

Ok, now you guys have lost me. I'm a Corvette guy (and I miss my '68 Roadster) so I think I'll have to find another reg to shop for instead.

I think it'll come down to what total package deals they can get me. I'm keeping my computer, but adding a set of backup gauges, a new reg and maybe a new octo. Whatever they can do there pricewise might make or break the deal.

Sounds to me like performance-wise they are very similar in quality. What feature one has, the other doesn't (Dry 1st stage vs sealed second, etc) I like that Atomics are made in the US, but don't like their lack of sales / warranty service locations. Seems like they are so high end, you can't find them as easily. In South Fla they are all over, but I move every few years for work and am based in Charleston, SC where no Atomics dealers are.

In South Fla they are all over, but I move every few years for work and am based in Charleston, SC where no Atomics dealers are.

I'm told that you can always send your atomic regs back to the factory for service - no matter where you live.

Rich

QUOTE : "Sounds to me like performance-wise they are very similar in quality. What feature one has, the other doesn't (Dry 1st stage vs sealed second, etc)"

Choosing features you can anticipate wanting /needing, then discovering the makes & models that dependably offer superior performance of these features, definitely makes the research a rewarding exhaustion.

My own experience : several sets of Atomics, then a Legend, then an Apeks.
I now own / dive an Apeks & a Legend LX ( ACD ), and would not have an Atomic as my primary reg. I like the Apeks' breathing a little better, but the Legend's ACD offers a little peace of mind; I'd recommend the Legend LX for value, features, serviceability and performance.

CardShark: That's a lot of regulator experience crammed in to a few dives :)

I like the Apeks' breathing a little better, but the Legend's ACD offers a little peace of mind; I'd recommend the Legend LX for value, features, serviceability and performance.

I have to say that lately I've become pretty anti-Aqualung. These are the same folks that have offered the gear shifting power shock fins and the elevator lever BCD. I had always thought that the legend was an okay reg... but not in the same class as SP, Atomic and Apek's top performers, until I read the ACD part of your post and wondered what the hell that was. I'm not a big fan of obstructing the gas path im a reg anytime that there should be flow. I'm afraid I have to take the Legend of of my "it's an okay reg" list.

" until I read the ACD part of your post and wondered what the hell that was. I'm not a big fan of obstructing the gas path im a reg anytime that there should be flow. I'm afraid I have to take the Legend of of my "it's an okay reg" list.[/quote]"

You point is very valid.
An additional factor involved in my case is inattentiveness ( I was not intended to be & am not the primary user... ) . Given the likelihoods of failure due to water entry vs. spring failure / check ball disintegration, the choice was the " lesser evil ". If the ACD ball & spring is easily removable - might that erase its' demerit ?

You point is very valid.
An additional factor involved in my case is inattentiveness ( I was not intended to be the primary user... ) . Given the likelihoods of failure due to water entry vs. spring failure / check ball disintegration, the choice was the " lesser evil ". If the ACD ball & spring is easily removable - might that erase its' demerit ?

It would. And although I don't like the specific case of the ACD what bothers me more is the seemingly company wide strategy of tricking people into buying gear with gimmicks that actually make the equipment less desireable.
I'm not an Aqualung tech, and I've never had a Legend open, but I would suspect that the ball would be as accessable as the filter. The spring that shuts the ball check may play some role in the retention of the filter though. Just a guess.

I don't see the ACD being a major failure point simply due to the geometry involved. I highly doubt that it could fail in the water since it would have to push the yoke away from the first stage. If it fails on the surface, then its an annoying repair but not life threatening.

I think its a lot like heated seats in a car though. It's a nice feature to to have but isn't a must. It's just an exapmle of a plus for this one and a different plus for that one.

I don't see the ACD being a major failure point simply due to the geometry involved. I highly doubt that it could fail in the water since it would have to push the yoke away from the first stage. If it fails on the surface, then its an annoying repair but not life threatening.

I think its a lot like heated seats in a car though. It's a nice feature to to have but isn't a must. It's just an exapmle of a plus for this one and a different plus for that one.

I'm sure that they were clever enough to figure out a way to keep it from completely blocking the gas path in the event of a catasthrophic failure. What bothers me is that even if the thing is working perfectly there is now a significant obstruction to gas entering the reg. I cannot imagine that this enhances the flow. It just strikes me as dumb and unneccessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom