Leisure pro loses price match: be careful...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if you want to be honest! It's amazing how people have no qualms about defrauding the USG or sending valuable dollars abroad in this economy. But it's OK because they're 'beating' LP pricing. Then they boast on the board about their illegal activities. SB is great! :coffee:
I don't think these goods are coming in on banana boats or night flights into the everglades. If they get shipped by DHL, for example, DHL either collects the tariff from the addressee or from the shipper. There's no fraud and no intent to defraud.

Can I ask what Liesure Pro really did wrong in this scenario? It seems like people are upset with them but I do not see why. They were given the opportunity to match a price and they said no. Who cares. No matter what they committed to, everybody has to draw a line as to how far they will drop their price....you found that line and crossed over it. I say good for you.....you got a great price. But LP did absolutely nothing wrong excpet running their business to make a small profit (or a large profit - it is up to them).

Having defended LP, I am going onto the website to mention to see if I can buy anything :D

I don't think anybody has implied that LP did anything wrong. It's just kind of newsworthy that they couldn't match the Scubastore price.

I don't think anybody has implied that LP did anything wrong. It's just kind of newsworthy that they couldn't match the Scubastore price.

OK thanks. I guess I misunderstood a couple posts on the first page. And FWIW, I only see prices in Euros.....but I am able to convert so I guess I am going shopping.

I think any time Leisurepro gets beaten on price, it is newsworthy!

I don't have a bad word to say about them (except when they sent me a manual in Spanish once, but I forgave them), but this thread is a good reminder for those of us that shop online that hunting around for deals pays dividends.

That is so true. Complacency will kill us in many ways if we allow it to. Take the time to shop around everytime but keep your loyalty where you want it to be. I too always give a specific shop "first dibs" but always have my plan for if they cannot come down far enough.

I don't think these goods are coming in on banana boats or night flights into the everglades. If they get shipped by DHL, for example, DHL either collects the tariff from the addressee or from the shipper. There's no fraud and no intent to defraud.

But I wonder if Mike has paid the appropriate 7.25% "USE TAX" to the state of California, either on this offshore purchase or any of his LP purchases?

:D

Paying A Use Tax

Do I owe use tax?

You generally owe California use tax when you use, consume, give away or store tangible personal property (i.e., products you can see, weigh, feel or touch, such as clothing, books, computers, DVDs or CDs) in California that you purchased from an out-of-state vendor. If the out-of-state vendor does not collect the California tax on your purchase, you must pay the tax.

I wonder if anyone who buys scuba gear online pays the use tax which is due on any item "purchased out of state and brought into the state" in 45 states in the union.

Anyone...anyone...anyone?

:shakehead:

Last edited:
But I wonder if Mike has paid the appropriate 7.25% "USE TAX" to the state of California, either on this offshore purchase or any of his LP purchases?

:D
:rofl3:Okay, I'll admit it. When I buy something from Amazon and have it shipped to NY sales-tax-free (Can you still do that? There was a court decision pending.) I do not keep track of the tax and pay it in my NY State tax return. I don't mind paying the tax if everybody else does (big if), but they're never going to get me to do that record-keeping.

Since when does the shipper pay Import Duties? Very seldom if ever at all. The buyer pays them upon import. Usually, the USG applies an import tax upon arrival in the US. If the shipper understates the value to help the buyer avoid the tax, or US Customs simply chooses to ignore the package, them the buyer gets 'lucky'. But this does not make it legal.

The reality: Most individual imports are not assessed by US Customs. (Quantity is simply too high). Legally: The buyer is required to report and pay the duties. None do. This does not make it legal. But it does make it cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom