Leisure Pro now an authorized Zeagle dealer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem for the little shop such as mine, is that a major online retailer's such as LP and ST buy and sell in such bulk numbers that they get their prices down well below mine, so their profit is still acceptable. In the economy such as today's there will be a time that they will sink the little shop like mine! Hope LP, ST, and others of the like figure out a way to sell air, because if I can't make enough to pay my personal bills plus the shop's I'll be closing down and air will go with me. I mean, there's no reason why we all can't make some money, is there? I don't have a problem with online retailers making a larger profit than me, but I need to make enough to survive, and definately make it hard!!!!

Joe
Centrtal Oregon Tech Divers

The business model of retail sales has changed. That includes scuba. You can either change with it, or get left behind.

Jack Welsh (recent CEO of GE) said something like "You can't be in business today, using business practices of yesterday, and expect to be in business tomorrow".

What's keeping you from opening your own online presence and competing?

Don't blame the other shops because you get the "scraps". Go compete for the Meat and Potatoes and everything else. You hold your future in your own hands.

I agree with AWAP that the "air scare" tatic is getting old from LDS's that can't compete. or won't.

From this thread, it looks like you just opened your new shop this month and you're already complaining about online shops taking your business? interesting.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pacific-northwest-orca-bait/247229-new-shop-redmond-oregon.html

EDIT: hmmm... doesn't even look like you're a Zeagle dealer.... (or listed as one on their website)

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?sor...st&submenu=FindADealer&submit.x=8&submit.y=13

I can honestly tell you that we here at Prime Scuba are not looking to put any dive center out of business. Only about 2 miles from us is a family owned LDS that has been around for about 30 years that I know of. They carry different brands than we so, so when someone is looking specifically for those brands we send them there. Unfortunately the brands they sell do not allow that store to do online sales. Believe me, if they could, they would. If they go OOB, (and we sincerely hope they DO NOT) it's because they are authorized dealers for their products, and the manufacturers are not allowing them to be competitive. Yet some of these manufacturers allow tons of their products to be sold gray market. Items like regulators that have traceable serial numbers on them. When your hands are tied like that, it's really hard to keep afloat. And it's NOT due to other Centers who do sell online. The family LDS down the road simply id forbidden to compete by their manufacturers. For other LDS's who's manufacturers do allow online sales, come on aboard - we welcome you!
Safe Diving,
George

Hey Mike, look again.(thanks for the heads up about not being listed) I don't have a problem competing with online stores, but it seems that when those people that have bought there gear online don't get the service they thought they would get, they come to a LDS and expect us to bow down and make it all better. Sure, I'll service it, but don't expect any deals.
Joe

I am all for competition and things being fair for all, but the worst part for the LDS is that many times people will come into a local shop and touch, feel, try on, get expert advice and information, then go order the same thing online to save a few bucks. In cases like that I certainly do not blame the LDS for getting tired of giving those same customers good deals on air/nitrox, equipment service and small accessories here and there. In this scenario it's the divers/customers that are only feeding the LDS the scraps and leftovers.

I think we as divers should do our research to know what a fair price is, but also give some value to the LDS for the valuable information, advice, etc. they give us while we "shop" for our gear. At the same time there is a balance expected from the LDS as well. I am willing to pay some more to get my gear at the LDS where my diving mentors are and where my fellow divers hang out, but I am not willing to pay such a high price that I feel like I'm being laughed at as I walk out the door. I've seen both extremes personally and am fortunate to have an exceptional LDS where I live.

If the manufacturers do not put some limit or balance on the "volume" pricing the big online types get vs. the LDS they will soon become WalMart brands and we all know how that will serve the longevity of the Zeagles and the Oceanics.

Just my 2 cents.

Hmm Walmart brands eh?
I think Walmart has as many positive points as negative.
I wouldn't mind seeing some manufacturers of scuba gear in Walmart.
The quality would be good the price would be excellent and warranty would be in full effect. In many cases walmart causes manufacturers to be more competative. If the gear is in the store to touch and feel then customers won't have to bother the LDS as often. Many customers don't need experts to help them make selections.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom