Leisure pro - voided warranty????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sell66

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got my certs and I wanted to purchase the right regulator. I will be doing mostly beach/shore dives in the Los Angeles areas. I was searching online and came along the
MK25/S555 from leisurepro

What do you guys think of this model?

Also, I heard that the warranty is void when you purchase through leisurepro, is that true?

If I take this reg. to a local shop for the yearly rebuild, how would they know that this regulator is not covered under warranty?

Thanks for the help,

David

Welcome to the board.
The Scubapro reg will serve you well but yes buying it from LP will void the SP warranty. Your LDS (Local dive shop) will know because you do not have the paper trail to prove you bought it from a SP dealer and/or you have not kept it maintained per SP reguirements.

Here is the rest of the story, the SP warranty only covers the cost of service parts, not the labor to install them and you must have the reg serviced at a SP dealer every year, keeping up with the paperwork to keep the warranty in force. Lose the paperwork or miss an anual inspection and the warranty is void anyway. Service parts for the reg are not that expensive, maybe $50 at most, the major cost of anual service is the labor, which is not covered. The question is how long will it be before you break even (assuming you remember to keep the warranty in force). LP does offer a warranty that is supposed to mirror the SP warranty but you would have to send your reg back to them each year...and again, miss the dates and your warranty is void. The question you have to ask yourself is " when does the saving at LP balance with the extra cost of anual service parts at my LDS". There is also a debate on interval actually required for service as opposed to doing it every year, not something I care to go into on this thread, there are plenty of others but it is another factor you have to take into consideration.

The other thing I believe that is not brought up in these conversations around LP and other online retailers is this....

If you got a smoking deal on a used regulator set from a friend, or a friend of a friend, that is no longer diving, would you turn it down? You see, buying it second hand also means it comes with no warranty. Same boat, one set used, one set new. I know what I would do!

An additional note just for clarity. Hermans statement is basically true for the Scubapro USA distribution area which includes the USA & Canada and a bit more. It is not necessarily true for other distribution area. The parts for life program is not a direct parts of the global Scubapro warranty. It is a Scubapro USA adjunct not valid in other distribution networks. And the linked statement also looks like it is coming from Scubapro USA. There are Scubapro authorized dealer who provide internet sales outside of the USA network. But the USA network dealers will probably not honor warranties from those sources.

BTW, I'd recommend the S600 rather than the S555. While some divers never use the adjustment knob on the S600, I find it allows me to set cracking pressure more aggressively and then control any resultant slight leaks with the adjustment knob. I also find it very useful when the reg is used as an octo or on a pony/stage bottle.

after all the hullabaloo on buying online,warrantys and such,I to wondered about buying used.I just got a great deal on 2 sets of sherwood regs at a garage sale,they are around 2 years old and have been serviced on time (paperwork included) by the original buyer at the LDS where bought.Now,for me,since I didnt originally buy them,,,any warranty? will the original LDS do the service work for me?they are close enough to take to them..It was a great deal,I took it and will worry about repairs/service when the time comes

after all the hullabaloo on buying online,warrantys and such,I to wondered about buying used.I just got a great deal on 2 sets of sherwood regs at a garage sale,they are around 2 years old and have been serviced on time (paperwork included) by the original buyer at the LDS where bought.Now,for me,since I didnt originally buy them,,,any warranty? will the original LDS do the service work for me?they are close enough to take to them..It was a great deal,I took it and will worry about repairs/service when the time comes

no warranty....
any lds that works on sherwood can do it..

No warranty for you but you have also have a tough, bulletproof reg. The service parts are cheap for SW regs and any SW dealer should be happy to service them for you. If you have never dove SW regs before, you should know that they are designed to have a small leak from the body as part of their enviromental seal system. There is a port covered by a rubber plug between a couple of the LP ports that a small bubbles should stream from, this is normal and if it is NOT streaming the bubbles you need them serviced.

great,,thanks for the info,,i have basically only heard good things about sherwood and this came along and couldnt turn it down,,,you can see the whole list on another of my ask a question threads,,,,by the way ,,they are magnums,....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom