Question Leisurepro / scuba.com for gear service/repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have experience with scuba.com (formerly known as Leisurepro) doing regulator/gear servicing? Are they reliable?

I ask because they have been known to sell what appears to be refurbished gear as new (I’ve personally had this happen to me). Problem is I can’t find any other servicing place in Manhattan.

I don’t know anything about Leisure Pro’s service department but maybe check out Gotham Divers. Awesome group of people, I would absolutely trust them with my gear.

Good Life Divers
Formerly Long Island Scuba
895 Wellwood Ave.
Lindenhurst, NY 1175
516-554-2993

Is what you seek. Mail it to them. They are honest and won't sell you stuff you don't need.
Their reg' tech is the most experienced in NY with over 40 years experience and has been the servicing Tech for all the local Police Dept Scuba teams from NYPD, NCPD, SCPD, etc. for a long time.
If you send it priority mail, you will have it back before you can find parking near Leisure Pro.

I don’t know anything about Leisure Pro’s service department but maybe check out Gotham Divers. Awesome group of people, I would absolutely trust them with my gear.
Thx. FYI to future viewers: called them and they confirmed they don’t service aqualung or scuba pro regs

I got a few things from scuba.com and was satisfied. I have also used American Diving and Marine Supply and was satisfied. Both are comparable in price.

I use Airtech Scuba Services in Raleigh NC. They are fantastic. They are all full-time service techs. They do alot of wholesale service for dive shops but also work with customers directly. When it comes to my regs, I want mine done by someone who does reg service ALOT, ideally full-time. I don't want someone in a dive shop who does just a handful a year. I want them serviced by a professional. That is exactly what these folks do. They do Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro, Apeks, Oceanic, Atomic, etc. The ONLY regs I've found that they DON'T do are Dive Rite. My Dive Rite reg I send to Dive Gear Express.

Although I self service almost all my equipment, Airtech is a class operation I utilize. They get my Poseidon regs when service is required on them.

I use Airtech Scuba Services in Raleigh NC. They are fantastic. They are all full-time service techs. They do alot of wholesale service for dive shops but also work with customers directly. When it comes to my regs, I want mine done by someone who does reg service ALOT, ideally full-time. I don't want someone in a dive shop who does just a handful a year. I want them serviced by a professional. That is exactly what these folks do. They do Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro, Apeks, Oceanic, Atomic, etc. The ONLY regs I've found that they DON'T do are Dive Rite. My Dive Rite reg I send to Dive Gear Express.

You ship them a different state?

Actually used them to service mares regs for years and they were excellent. Since covid you can't see "Joel" personally, but it's pretty much the same gentleman doing the work for years.

You ship them a different state?
When I was servicing regs I had customers send them to me from around the world. Literally. I had military customers on Guam, Okinawa, Japan, and in Germany send them to me because APO can ship USPS flat rate at the same price as in the states. I got one set shipped from Afghanistan with instructions to send it on to his next post in San Francisco. But hang onto it for two weeks to make sure his orders didn't change.
The majority of my reg service customers were not local.
Most of my business came from Florida 1st, followed by California and New York. As well as most of the East Coast. Florida was always a surprise but I gave good service. I had some tell me that I was faster than the shop in their town with getting them back. my 48 hours vs the local shop taking 2-3 WEEKS!
Much of this was due to that average 48 hour turnaround. If I knew the reg was coming and had tracking, it was evaluated, a fee quoted within a few hours of getting it, and if approved immediately by the owner, back in the mail to them in 48 hours.
It might take longer if I got it on a Friday and was teaching that weekend. Then it would get done on Monday after work and back in the mail Tuesday afternoon.
A full reg set should take no more than 2 hours for a competent tech to rebuild.
That doesn't mean the place you send it to will jump on it right away if they are super busy. But call them to see what it will be roughly. And ask them if there's a better time for them to get it. I loved getting regs on Monday or Tuesday. I could guarantee they would be back to them in the mail on Wednesday. Or, if they wanted me to take it to the pool and dive it for an hour, I had the pool on Thursday so they'd go out Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom