Les Pauls, strats vs everything else

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't think that I would ever have a reason to post this photo on Scuababord, but what do you know, here is the perfect thread.

FWIW, I don't know much about Scubapro, but I will say that Santi ROCKS!

View attachment 172251

I'm not sure that Santi is going to hold up for gigs, though. You're going to be a little warm under bright stage lights in a crowded club. Awesome pic, though.

To the OP: as you can see from the other responses, it's much like guitars. There are those who make a big deal of one brand vs another, but, in reality much of it comes down to personal preference and style (for guitar) or fit and purpose (for diving).

To the OP: as you can see from the other responses, it's much like guitars. There are those who make a big deal of one brand vs another, but, in reality much of it comes down to personal preference and style (for guitar) or fit and purpose (for diving).

+1 to that.

It's very much like guitars in that the brand of the guitar is an extremely small contributor to the quality of the music, when compared to the skill of the operator. Similarly, diving skills and experience are much more important than the brand of gear.

Here's another graphic that I post whenever one of those threads starts up about underwater photography and the importance of RAW capability, Nikon vs. Canon, etc...

UW_photos.jpg

I didn't think that I would ever have a reason to post this photo on Scuababord, but what do you know, here is the perfect thread.

FWIW, I don't know much about Scubapro, but I will say that Santi ROCKS!

View attachment 172251

Nice Axe!

+1 to that.

It's very much like guitars in that the brand of the guitar is an extremely small contributor to the quality of the music, when compared to the skill of the operator. Similarly, diving skills and experience are much more important than the brand of gear.

Here's another graphic that I post whenever one of those threads starts up about underwater photography and the importance of RAW capability, Nikon vs. Canon, etc...

View attachment 172266

Or my sensor is bigger than your sensor.

Scubapro has and does make some excellent gear. Some of their stuff has become Icons of the industry such as the Jet Fin, the 109 regulator, Mark V (et all), Frameless Mask, and on and on. But, same for USD (now AL sorta) and several other companies. In the olden days people used to kit out in one brand of gear, now people pick and choose what suits them though I still think it cool to kit out or at least have matching fins and mask but does it matter----no--NO!.

Observe divers who dive in your area or who you will be diving with and see what they use, consider the type of diving you are interested in, travel, local, tech? That said, a set of those new G260s on a Mk17 and some Jets and a Frameless mask is always a good start and that equipment will always be useful. Scubapro has a long history, as does AL, of supporting their equipment for years with parts. The AL product that comes to mind is the Titan XL regulator, simple, bullet proof, durable, can be fixed anywhere just about with parts commonality for some pieces going back decades.

N

Couple years ago I was on a liveaboard trip. There was a guy there who was deriding all of my equipment, because none of it was ScubaPro. He told me he would only trust his life to ScubaPro equipment. Of course he would ... he was a ScubaPro dealer.

Let me guess, the beav?

Please say yes, please say yes....

Is scubapro the Gibson of scuba?

Like the sound itself, it's dependent upon the ear of the listener. Personally I don't like the sound of Scubapro, but prefer the tone of the Taylor K-22 and my Apeks.

View attachment 172266

<hijack>
Conceding that your diving and UW photography skills probably are way better than mine, I'd like to know what kind of lighting conditions you're shooting at.

Where I dive (at 62-63 degrees North), the sun is more often than not pretty low in the sky, and I often have to cope with a pretty thick algal soup in the top layer, so light is usually scarce down there. Due to the amount of ambient light at the bottom, I routinely have to up my ISO to 640-1600 to be able to capture any ambient at all with acceptable shutter speeds. Based on that experience, I'd like to suggest that you make the "Camera body" slice the same size as your current "Sensor size" slice, and vice versa.

I've yet to see a small sensor compact able to get good noise levels at that kind of ISO sensitivities, while camera body brand and model almost always is pretty irrelevant, at least for topside photography.
</hijack>

Doctor Mike, his sensor is bigger than your sensor. I have developed a case of severe sensor deficiency anxiety disorder (SSDAD) and sensor envy. I think my sensor is deficient as well. But, whatever shall I do. Are there pills for this condition?

N

<hijack>
Conceding that your diving and UW photography skills probably are way better than mine, I'd like to know what kind of lighting conditions you're shooting at.

Where I dive (at 62-63 degrees North), the sun is more often than not pretty low in the sky, and I often have to cope with a pretty thick algal soup in the top layer, so light is usually scarce down there. Due to the amount of ambient light at the bottom, I routinely have to up my ISO to 640-1600 to be able to capture any ambient at all with acceptable shutter speeds. Based on that experience, I'd like to suggest that you make the "Camera body" slice the same size as your current "Sensor size" slice, and vice versa.

I've yet to see a small sensor compact able to get good noise levels at that kind of ISO sensitivities, while camera body brand and model almost always is pretty irrelevant, at least for topside photography.
</hijack>

Ha! OK, the little slices weren't really part of the joke, but I get your point...

Actually, for northeast US photography, a fast ISO is certainly helpful, although I find that my 7D does get grainy in the high end and I rely on artificial light and strobe positioning. Certainly, for macro, this is a non-issue. But for wide angle wreck shots, I don't always need to crank the ISO super high for decent exposures. Of course, the topside sky has a lot to do with things, as does particulate matter in the water, strobe power, etc....

Here is ISO 320

block_island_2011 - 32.jpg

And here is ISO 500

Stolt070613 - 02.jpg

Nemrod:
Doctor Mike, his sensor is bigger than your sensor. I have developed a case of severe sensor deficiency anxiety disorder (SSDAD) and sensor envy. I think my sensor is deficient as well. But, whatever shall I do. Are there pills for this condition?

Nemrod, you know that you don't need pills. It's not your sensor size, it's what you do with it.

ive had gibsons and guilds, fenders and martins, and now i play a f*&king pair of fernandes natives. theyre cheap and nothing but fun. all the others hold one to a higher standard, but i will always play better than the brace of natives i own. all my dive gear is the same. run of the mill, good for rec diving, and thats all i'll ever be. sure its scubapro, but the bc's made in mexico, probably next to the tv factories, the regs are mk10/375 and over two decades old, my fins are jet fins i bought in 1976, boy i get looks on the dive boat, but hey, maybe i'm just cheap, i just hope i'm a better diver than my gear!!!hahaha

---------- Post added December 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 PM ----------

oops.
wrong thread, sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom