Let's get to know the Philippine paradise divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indigoscuba:
Oh, and about the MA project, we tried out a different approach, using concrete modules rather than electrically stimulated MA on pure steel modules since the latter setup is pretty expensive to fund. With our setup, artificially planted coral growth was better than the naturally growing corals. My mentor is Dr. Lemuel Alfeche btw. :)
that IS pretty interesting results. So this may point to another factor of electrical stimuli other than caclium carbonate build up. Unless calcium carbonate can form on concrete??? (I honestly dunno) FWIW, Dr. Yap and Dr. Sabater did a MAT study using metal and found that the corals grew faster closer to the electrode than further from it. This shows the need for a suitable substrate that will evenly conduct the electrical stimuli. A big issue with MAT is that Dr. Moreau (founder) has patented his design, which has put limitations on thorough studies and made some marine biologists skeptical of his motives and MAT altogether.

IMO, concrete looks better than metal. But I'm a naturalist. :)

Well, you're in nursing now. And that's hard work but a very fulfilling job. I studied physiology pharmacology as my undergraduate, but my masters is in marine biology. Who knows, maybe you'll make a major career change. Anything can lead back to the sea. :)

indigoscuba:
Actually, when I was in high school, I wanted to take up medicine, but now I'm taking up nursing since even family doc friends advice to taking it instead. Diving for me is more of a hobby, an adventure and a way to chill out, being neutrally buoyant underwater where the only noise that you can hear is your breathing and nature itself. I just really like to help out in projects which preserve our sea since I find it as a very valuable resource for all of us. :D

Just out of curiosity, why nursing? From what I've read from your discussions you seem to be a very intelligent young man capable of other things than nursing. Don't get me wrong, I love nursing and I am a nurse. Is your family suggesting nursing as a way to get a job out of the country? Just curious. If you do stick with nursing, more power to you.

indigoscuba, welcome bai!

have you seen our artificial reef in agutayan island? and the giant clams?

btw, NMPSA shoot on dec 17 sat.

midwestdvr:
Just out of curiosity, why nursing? From what I've read from your discussions you seem to be a very intelligent young man capable of other things than nursing. Don't get me wrong, I love nursing and I am a nurse. Is your family suggesting nursing as a way to get a job out of the country? Just curious. If you do stick with nursing, more power to you.

Thank you for the compliment midwestdvr! :) Nursing was really my decision because it is very close to medicine, being around patients and all. After graduating from it, I *might* pursue medicine or some graduate school if I still feel like it. :D Nursing is kind of a contingency plan since I am not very confident in the political and economic situation in the Philippines right now and a part of me says that things might get worse in the future.

scubagun:
indigoscuba, welcome bai!

have you seen our artificial reef in agutayan island? and the giant clams?

btw, NMPSA shoot on dec 17 sat.

Hey scubagun! I haven't been to agutayan is. yet. Where is that located? I also haven't been really active in shooting lately. Limited to dryfiring a couple of times a week, mainly because I don't have enough time to shoot at the range. Academics and rotc is currently seeping all the time I have. Can't wait for summer vacation!!

Edit to add: Oops! I noticed that I just triple posted on the previous page. Sorry guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom