Where to Dive in the Philippines? Infographic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

klausi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I put together an infographic about where to dive in the Philippines, given what you'd like to see, wrecks, critters, reefs, or walls. I also note of the site is best/only dived by live on board, and if there is nightlife to be enjoyed.

I have been to most (not all) of the places I list, any feedback & suggestions which places to add is welcome. The infographic isn't meant to argue that nice coral's aren't found in any other places, but the ones listed are especially nice if you want to see corals.

Philippine Dive Decider by Klaus Stiefel, on Flickr

I will add few more places that I have dived: Boracay, Camotes Island, Davao, General Santos. San Fernando(La Union) Sipalay and Surigao.
Night life is possible in Davao, Gen San and San Fernando(depend where you are staying).
Take it easy in Boracay!!!!

There are many places in the country.

Very nice! Appreciate the way you've graphically communicated a lot in a quickly grasped, fairly simple format. Impressively creative and effective. I appreciate the 'party town' designation, as that's important to some.

You listed 'critters,' but some might think that's macro., others colorful tropical fish, someone else larger invertebrates or just the 'teeming with life' look of some reefs. Your webpage suggests it means richness in small subjects, if I understand correctly.

Are the different destination options about equally demanding, or are some more demanding and needing more advanced divers and others more 'beginner friendly?'

Very nice iniiative!
You should also have added in each category :
- Bohol/Balicasag, Cabilao and Sogod Bay for walls
- Padre Burgos for whale sharks in the wild, as well as Bohol/Lila which is a mini Oslob.
- Sipalay for coral reefs

In my opinion you could list a category which would be fish schools, where you can list Balicasag/Bohol, Apo island, Apo reef and Tubbataha.

Very nice! Appreciate the way you've graphically communicated a lot in a quickly grasped, fairly simple format. Impressively creative and effective. I appreciate the 'party town' designation, as that's important to some.

You listed 'critters,' but some might think that's macro., others colorful tropical fish, someone else larger invertebrates or just the 'teeming with life' look of some reefs. Your webpage suggests it means richness in small subjects, if I understand correctly.

Are the different destination options about equally demanding, or are some more demanding and needing more advanced divers and others more 'beginner friendly?'
Very good feedback, thank you, I am thinking how to add more info, easy/advanced/tech diving (maybe color code) will be useful.

Yes, with critters I mean macro/small/cryptic animals like sea slugs, seahorses, ect.

I will add few more places that I have dived: Boracay, Camotes Island, Davao, General Santos. San Fernando(La Union) Sipalay and Surigao.
Night life is possible in Davao, Gen San and San Fernando(depend where you are staying).
Take it easy in Boracay!!!!

There are many places in the country.
San Fernando near Angeles? There is diving nearby?

We have wanted to try San Fernando up La Union, but have not made it up there yet.

The following is just because we found name confusion pretty funny our last Philippines trip. Having spent the Easter weekend in San Fernando, Pampanga (which is near Angeles City) to view the "maleldo" (re-enactment of the crucifixion with real nails, and the parade of "flagellants" whipping themselves), I can assure everyone there is no saltwater scuba diving there.

However, my wife and I always joke about how very many times the same place names are used throughout the Philippines. Town names, barangay names, street names...deja vu all over again as you travel around. Have seen similar sharing of place names in other countries, but nothing like the Philippines!

For example, there are 23 places named "San Fernando" in the Philippines that I counted this last trip. We noticed this because we had seen several "San Fernando" signs on this spring, and then saw yet another in Romblon on our last dive trip. The ones with * sign we were in or drove by this year. :wink:

San Fernando - Albay
San Fernando - Antique
San Fernando - Batangas *
San Fernando - Bohol
San Fernando - Bukidnon
San Fernando - Camarines Sur
San Fernando - Capiz
San Fernando - Cebu *
San Fernando - Iloilo
San Fernando - Isabela
San Fernando - La Union
San Fernando - Masbate
San Fernando - Nueva Ecija
San Fernando - Nueva Vizcaya
San Fernando - Palawan
San Fernando - Pampanga *
San Fernando - Quezon
San Fernando - Romblon *
San Fernando - Samar
San Fernando - Surigao del Norte *
San Fernando - Tacloban *
San Fernando - Tarlac *
San Fernando - Zambales

Anyway, always check carefully when using local transport schedules for buses and ferries to make sure you are headed to the correct "version" of whatever place you are trying to get to! ;-)

Wow this is really neat. I appreciate the effort on this. Apo Island is definitely the best dive I have ever been on. Can't wait to explore more of the Philippines.

Wow this is really neat. I appreciate the effort on this. Apo Island is definitely the best dive I have ever been on. Can't wait to explore more of the Philippines.

If Apo Island is the best you have dived to date, then you have so much more in which to look forward in PH. Tubbataha (for example) makes Apo look "average..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom