Lets talk suggested Dive Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickDiver94

Registered
Reaction score
Recently ordered my Sheartwater dive computer and super excited to use it on my next dive. Im seeing that they have a cloud feature that allow dives to be backed up, which sounds great however, my concern is that im not 100% comfortable depending on one software to keep track of ALL my dives. In addition it doesn't appear like they allow me to enter dives manually like the few dives I've done before I purchased the computer -or- manual dives I might need to add incase something goes wrong (e.g., PC forgotten at home, batteries are low, transmitter fails, etc...). Now before I get hammered with response about shearwater being a great computer and that shouldnt happen, I respect that its one of the best out there, but im just saying anything can go wrong and Id like to be ready in the case it does.

Was wondering if you could tell me your experience with Dive Logs and anything they wish they would have done different based on that experience? Are excel files acceptable or is a paper version a must? Short reminder, really need a way to add manual dives even if its on a computer.

Thanks and happy diving

You have to use Shearwater Cloud to upgrade your firmware as updates come out. Might as well download your dives as well. If you choose to also use one of the other dive computer independent dive logs is completely up to you. Many Shearwater owners do, many do not. There are a number of threads discussing options already active.

Firstly, congrats. I just purchased a Shearwater myself, and am looking forward to trying it out.

Secondly, I have been using Subsurface, and will continue to do so. I will be using the Shearwater cloud, as well, but Subsurface has all of my previous dives. It’s cloud based, just like Shearwater, and allows very easy manual entry. You would be able to download by Bluetooth with it also.

Lastly, you can use whatever format you prefer. There are folks on here who use excel, and a various number of apps. There is no MUST way. The only reason to log dives is for your own information to look back on or for classes that may have a minimum dive number requirement.

Hope that helps, and enjoy the new computer!

Erik

That was actually a concern. Do you happen to know what boats, resorts, or classes might not or will accept as a proper log?
I don’t know from experience, but I can’t imagine there are any that won’t except any version of a dive log for that purpose. I can think of no reason for them to not. Ultimately, there’s no such thing as a dive log that is not proper. Also, I have never had a resort, or boat, ask to see my log, only my C-card.

That was actually a concern. Do you happen to know what boats, resorts, or classes might not or will accept as a proper log?
I've been on 20 liveaboard trips, more or less, and have never been asked for a dive log. Likewise for any land based operation.

No one apart from an instructor teaching one of the few courses with minimum dive requirements cares about your dive log. It’s entirely for you.

For those courses such as Divemaster, Master Diver, Instructor, etc, what they will accept for a dive log varies by instructor and agency. It really all depends on your specific instructor and what they want to see.

Should not be a problem. Never had an issue with electronic logs. If you like to collect stamps from some dive sites, an electronic log could be a problem.

However, for most operations that might ask to see a log, a downloaded dive profile is going to be sufficient proof that you’ve actually done the dive. If not, you may want to skip that operation as it seems they may not be aware that the 21st century is here.

I use Shearwater Cloud primarily for updating the firmware. My main dive log is Subsurface. Free download for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. Supports most dive computers including your Shearwater.

You can log anyway you want. They are just for you unless you go for a pro level cert, and then they only care about the number.

Decide which method you want to use and go for it.

If you are working on a certification that requires a minimum number of dives, does Subsurface have a feature where you can format a hard copy report and just hand it over?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom