Level of Certification?

What is your current level of training ?

• Open Water

Votes: 63 27.6%
  • Advanced Open Water

Votes: 84 36.8%
  • Specialties (ie. Deep, Nitrox etc..)

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • Rescue

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Divemaster

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Instructor

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Tech

Votes: 27 11.8%
  • Commercial

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a newby. Not even a newby. I'm a newby in training. First pool session is next week. I'm not even a diver yet. I'm nothing. I'm navel lint!

:bang:

am just getting round to getting certified and intend taking it all the way of possible. Have dove when on holiday a few times so have that wee tiny bit of experience. Am waiting for my instructor to get back from holiday to start my training.

The "C" card one holds on Guam is a driving force in most shop dives here. Therefore, as far as a cert goes, I have exactly what I need to get on any particular dive....................that said, I train on every dive I do, one way or another.

The next card I want is the card for air ring speciality..............mine break up after about 30 feet.

tiny bubbles

gkwaldee once bubbled...
The next card I want is the card for air ring speciality..............mine break up after about 30 feet.

LOL -- I need that training, too. Lately, I can't even get a good ring to form...must refine that skill...

I have tried and tried but can't seem to do that. What's the secret?
I had a DM in Roatan try to teach me, but I just didn't get it.
When I smoked (way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth), I could blow smoke rings, but air is so different.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
I have tried and tried but can't seem to do that. What's the secret?
Practice, practice, practice.

I don't have it mastered,but manage to get about 1 out of 3 try to form a good ring.

You have your mouth facing truly vertical. I end up bending my head back beyond what I thought was vertical.

Some people say to let the air just float out of your mouth. I've had better luck kind of "popping" out the air bubble. Puff up your cheeks, then open and shut your lips fast. Above water, this should make a little "pop-pop" as your lips open and close. I just use my cheeks as the air source. I can never form a bubble if I breathe or puff out.

Warning: it generally isn't a good idea to cough or puff too hard underwater. I don't know the details, but somehow this can reverse blood flow in the heart chambers or something like that, and this can transfer venous gas bubbles over to the arterial side, the same as if you had a PFO. (Somebody that knows the specifics is welcome to jump in and explain).

The air ring discussion could also fit into the "underwater pranks" thread. On one dive in Cozumel I'd always wait until the DM was looking the other way, then blow an air ring and quickly change locations. By the time he noticed it, it wouldn't be really obvious who did it. Later he told me it wasn't until the 3rd or 4th good ring (and maybe 10 attempts/bad ones) that he was sure it was me. By that time, he was fully into the game and kept snapping his head around fast trying to catch me. :rolleyes:

upper lip, build up just a slight pressure in your mouth and roll your tongue out as you puff out. See....
abc.sized.jpg

tony

SueMermaid once bubbled...
When I smoked (way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth), I could blow smoke rings, but air is so different.

My Dear Mermaid,

Judging by your lovely picture, you are a mere sprite of a child! You certainly were not around in the Pleistocene Era, as some of us were!:wink: :wink:

2 Bar once bubbled...
I'm a newby. Not even a newby. I'm a newby in training. First pool session is next week. I'm not even a diver yet. I'm nothing. I'm navel lint!

:bang:

I look forward to picking you out of my navel.

hee hee hee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom