Level of Certification?

What is your current level of training ?

• Open Water

Votes: 63 27.6%
  • Advanced Open Water

Votes: 84 36.8%
  • Specialties (ie. Deep, Nitrox etc..)

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • Rescue

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Divemaster

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Instructor

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Tech

Votes: 27 11.8%
  • Commercial

Votes: 8 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like lots have gone onto advanced. Thats good to see!

Not meaning to be rude to Captain (YMCA 1970) but hundreds of dives?Should be "thousands of dives".

I mention this only because I know divers that have "been diving since 1966" or a friend of mine thats been been diving since 1975.

Guess what? The last time they ever dove was about five years past the original cerification date and have not gone for a dive since.

Guess what their experience level is?

You can get the card,but you have have to get the experience to back it up as well as keep up the skills.

I also know a diver I helped train several years back.Only does commercial work now.He went to Cozumel a year ago and from what I was told,was real mess in the water

Ron

Funny thread, really.

When I became OW certified, I thought, Advanced class? Nah, who cares? I'll never need it...

I dived and dived and dived...

Next year, I was jabbering with the shop's owner, and I hopped into the AOW class. I laughed about that.. Took the class, it was fun. No biggie, right?

Sitting around with my then G/F, who's a diver as well. I remember saying, Eh, I've gone as far as I need to go. I'll never go any further. She brought up nitrox, I said "BLAH, Blah, blah, nitrox... I'll never need, want it, whatever..."

She mentioned rescue and MSD, I once again said, "What for? what do I need that for? I'm an AOW Diver, I'm happy where I'm at, I'll never need or want to go any further.."

A few years more later...

RSD class later..... Nitrox class later... MSD class later, and so on, and so on... and so on....More classes... yadd yadda... And, I'm an instructor now..

Never, now there's a funny word... I guess when she serves it up to me for that conversation oh so long ago, I'll be asking for salt and pepper for my crow...

I thought I'd share that, I read the thread, did a stroll along memory lane, and had to laugh.

I got my open back in 94 by the now defunct NASDS. I have yet to see they neccessity in getting my advanced. I have been able to do everything I have wanted to so far (wrecks, 100+, night), just haven't had to pay extra for it.

I'm a PADI Instructor and a BSAC Dive Leader.

I got my OW cert in 1998 (and I hated mask clearing!!) and I never thought I would make it so far as Instructor, but after taking the Rescue course in Australia, which was taught to me a 19 year old instructor - I thought - why the hell can't I do that?

Now I teach diving to my mates for almost free. It's a great feeling to teach (when you don't have to do it for a living). I also voluntarily teach PADI Seal Team courses to school kids. It's a lot of fun. The kids just love being under water.

Even if you don't want to teach full time - I would recommend being an Instructor. It's a great achievement and is very fullfilling to be able to take your relatives and friends under water and show them what you've been talking about for so long.

My most favorite moment of teaching was when I took a deaf 12 year old girl under water for the first time. Her face just lit up! I would really like to learn sign language and teach scuba to the deaf. That's my next step in my teaching hobby. :)

Hope that inspires some of you! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom