Level of gear to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflybldr

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

New to the list and finally getting certified after 40 years of trying to see the bottom from the surface. I have always bought good equipment (tools) from the start in any endevour. My son (14) and I just finished our OW classes and pool time and will do the ocean dives in San Carlos Mexico later this month. I am on my way to the LDS to have them get me a quote on the following package (times two)

Knighthawk BC's
MK25/S600's
Suunto Cobra consoles with quick dissconnetcs and compass

No question about liking scuba and will probably make 50 dives a year.

My question is are we over buying for our ability level?

My philosophy is if I would glady write a check for the better piece of equipment at 10,000 ft if my airplane engine quits, and now at -80 ft when I can't breath, I'll do it now while I can.

Thanks in advance.

I dive with this setup and so far had no problem. This package will serve you well and permits progression. As for your ability level, you will be more than able to dive with this setup, just take it slow on your first dives.

Ma

For me I made the mistake of buying the wrong BCD... I like it, it's just the BP/W set up makes more sense... An expensive mistake... just make sure you're going to be happy and can stand the constant blabbing of BP/W without getting jealous :wink: other than that ENJOY!

Mafor... where do you dive living in montreal and which LDS do you use?

My reccomendation to you and all new divers is to rent gear for the first 50 or so dives. Many divers want to buy gear but don't know which model to get. When you rent, don't look at it as renting junk, try to rent high end gear. If that costs a little more pay the difference. Think of it as "demoing" gear, like renting better skis for a higher price to "demo" the better stuff. Rent from different shops and when possible try different styles of gear. One good example is the BC. There are Jacket style, Back Inflate, and Back Plate and Wing stlyes. Try them all and make up your own mind.

I could tell you what kind of gear I like, but does that mean that you will like it? Almost every brand and model of regulator will be safe to use in a normal recreational dive profile. I can not imagine any shop using truly unsafe gear in their rental fleet, They may use lower price models, but any lower priced model from a major manufacturer will be fine.

You are not ready to dive the Andrea Doria, so you don't need gear for that level of diving.

If you MUST buy gear, try to save some money and buy former rental gear or used gear on eBay or here on ScubaBoard. If you get used get it serviced before using it and factor that cost into the total purchase price.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
My reccomendation to you and all new divers is to rent gear for the first 50 or so dives.

With all due respect to a much more experienced diver than myself, 50 dives x $75 or so to rent = $3750 x 2 divers = $7500.

You could purchase the outfit you are looking at, decide to upgrade to a BP/W setup and pay for a pretty nice vacation package on top of that for that amount. You might rent different equipment for 5 dives or so and decide from that.

Mark Vlahos:
My reccomendation to you and all new divers is to rent gear for the first 50 or so dives. Many divers want to buy gear but don't know which model to get. When you rent, don't look at it as renting junk, try to rent high end gear. If that costs a little more pay the difference. Think of it as "demoing" gear, like renting better skis for a higher price to "demo" the better stuff. Rent from different shops and when possible try different styles of gear. One good example is the BC. There are Jacket style, Back Inflate, and Back Plate and Wing stlyes. Try them all and make up your own mind.

Sorry I have to disagree. Renting gear is a big hassle, it's usually pay by the day, so you have to go the day before, pick it up, learn the particular features of that particular piece, then return it right away when finished. If you own your own eqpt, you'll be ready to go on a moment's notice, and I suspect you'll be more likely to dive more. Your comment about "just writing a check" indicated that money is not particularly tight so don't be afraid to own top of the line eqpt even if you are new. If you want to change, you can always sell it on eBay. Factoring in the cost of rental vs. ease of use, I'd say if funds are an issue, you'd be much better buying a new regulator, and used everything else, than renting.

I would suggest buying your own equipment. I have had several problems with rental equipment and you never get to know the equipment well. If your a travelling diver, concider the size of your bcd. I bought a jacket style and while it's very comfortable, it takes up a lot of room and is tough to travel with.

My 2 cents worth!

Have fun.

ZZZKing het on the head. You would have bought 10 bcd if you reanted that long. Most lds well take the rentel price of if you bye. Find one you like a take it for a test drive, if you bye it your rentel was free.We ,my family bought after 5 dives and we are happy. Don't wate to long but get good stuff from the start.I belive it suporting the LDS but check out the prices and all LDS well deal. The prices are inflated on a lot of stuff. If you bye a package you can get them down 25% or more.

ZzzKing:
With all due respect to a much more experienced diver than myself, 50 dives x $75 or so to rent = $3750 x 2 divers = $7500.

You could purchase the outfit you are looking at, decide to upgrade to a BP/W setup and pay for a pretty nice vacation package on top of that for that amount. You might rent different equipment for 5 dives or so and decide from that.
The original poster lives in Arizona so at the least he is probably going to drive to San Diego for a weekend of diving... 4 to 6 dives in two days so 2 days of rental for lets call it 5 dives. There are package deals available from some of the boats and area shops so perhaps $100 for a set of gear for the weekend.

For his next trip lets say he travels to Maui and the gear is included for free with his dives, he does 5 days of diving with a mixture of 2 tank dives, 3 tank dives and an added night dive so lets say that he gets in 12 dives in the week. For this the cost of rentals is still at the $100 mark and he is a third of the way to the 50 dives.

Some people like to go to Club Med where the dive gear is (or at least used to be) included. Others like a trip to Cozumel or some other island in the Carribean. Sure in some places rentals are expensive, but in others the gear is free or inexpensive.

If you do one dive a day and pay the full rental price for the day on each of the 50 dives sure the price will be high, but most of us don't dive that way at first. Most new divers I have seen go to a tropical location and dive for a week, or dive on a local boat where there may be discounted rentals.

One issue not mentioned is the maintenance of the gear, both the cost and the hassle factor. I do own all of my gear and purchased it slowly over the first 50 or so dives. I have one buddy that rents the BC and reg for every dive, he pays more in the long run but when he steps off the boat he is ready to get in the car and go to dinner, me, I need to rinse and hang up my gear a process that can take a while.

No one comment from myself or any others will be the only advice to follow, the best advice will get the original poster to think about alternatives and make his own mind up according to his budget and lifestyle.

Mark Vlahos

dflybldr:
My question is are we over buying for our ability level?

There's no such thing.

My one recommendation would be that make sure your BCD has trim pockets up high (near your shoulder). This is invaluable for helping you adjust your trim when you dive.

Also, do a few dives with the rental BCD first before making a purchase.

Vandit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom