Liability for repairing regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to help people in need of help; whether it be a lady on the side of the road with a flat tire or a diver with a regulator problem. I also help friends learn to service their own gear.

And fellow SB'ers; awap and co. make the DIY group one of the tops on SB w.r.t. information content.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 01:39 PM ----------

One recent article I read that's tangentially related to our discussion is "Behind the 1990s controversy over technical diving" by Bret Gilliam (you can find the free article at techdivingmag.com). There is more than one side to a story but the article details some of the motivations for misinformation spread that was perpetrated by various dive related organizations/people when nitrox started to become popular. I think some of the irrational views surrounding regulators are an extension which, hopefully, time will fix. One quote in the article that I particularly liked is by Dick Rutkowski who said, "Science always triumphs over bull****."

Nobody dies from regulator neglect. Occasionally divers die from bad judgement and reckless dive behavior. If you dive in a manner that you would die if your regulator failed, you are diving recklessly.

Over and over and over again people on this and other forums, and in thousands of dive shops, talk about regulators as if they are 'life support' or as if our lives as divers are threatened by regulator failure. Total fallacy. Sure does sell regulators, though!

I agree with you, but someone who will allow their first stage to become more green than chrome is already being reckless in my opinion. Why not at least minimize the chance of regulator failure as a contributing factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom