Life cycle of a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reactions: Jax
I bought a Suunto Cobra in 1999. I don't use it much anymore, and only for kind of strange situations, but I do use it. I prefer the Shearwater, which is what I mostly use. The reason, though, is that I do decompression dives with multiple gases, including helium, so I need a computer with that capacity. If I were still doing only recreational NDL dives, the Cobra would work just fine for that.

There is always an urge to buy something with more bells and whistles than you currently have, but do you really need them? I hear people talk about different features on their computers, and I think, "Why on Earth...?"

I think recreational NDL divers can do just fine with the most basic computers on the market. If you think you are going to get into tech some day, then wait until that day is fully upon you before shopping for such a computer.

I agree with this sort of. The problem is that no one knows what the future holds. When I first started diving, I was VERY adamant that I would NEVER cave dive. Today I'm a cave instructor. Up until two years ago, I thought people who were diving a rebreather were morons. How could you possibly put yourself at such a fatal risk. Today I love my rebreather and I'll probably be a rebreather instructor in the next couple of years.

You don't know where you'll be next year or in 3 years or in 5 years. So buy the computer that you can't outgrow. Because one day, you just might need that badass computer with all the capabilities necessary to take you to 200' on a CCR.

For me, I just hate to buy twice when it's unnecessary.

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

I still dive my Aladin Pro, and it's 23 years young. It doesn't do Nitrox, and I can't download the dive profiles, but it's plenty good enough for me.

LOL, Air doesn't even go in my tires or paintball guns, let alone my lungs. I made 6 dives to 20' last week, 5 of them were trimix dives. One of them was Nitrox. LOL. Air Dive Computer.... pfft. :)

---------- Post added June 17th, 2013 at 02:28 PM ----------

Another consideration is that if you buy a computer before you're around 40 years old, keep in mind that if the computer has a really cool tiny wristwatch-like display, it may become more difficult to read as you age. I love my Suunto D6, but I am beginning to think a wrist-mounted computer with a large (and colorful!) display is in my not-so-distant future.

Have you seen the Shearwater? It's got a GIANT color display that your buddy can read from 30' away in low lighting conditions. :) Just sayin' :)

I'm a total noob in diving, but not so much in other electronics fields. My take on it is that unless you just don't want to part with the coin later there is a pretty huge room for improvement in dive computers. It's 2013 and only a handful have oled display. Battery life is getting better, but very few (any?) even have decent wireless data capabilities. Many computers don't have user replaceable batteries. I just bought a rather expensive computer and it transmits data over irda for example. I could live with this computer for 20 years if I wanted I'm sure. I'm hoping that there will be something better to upgrade to in the future.

Bottom line in my opinion is this. Decide what you want your computer to do. Air integration? If so, hoseless? Like a particular algorithm? Support for pc downloads/logs? Integrated compass? MultiGas support? Software upgradable? There's a long list of features a diver might want. Then look around and see what's available and compare prices/aesthetics. You can get basic computers without air integration cheap (cheap in diving means something else than it means everywhere else).

Also, once you settle on a computer - I'd recommend an LDS for purchase. I got my computer from an LDS for about $100 less than I found it for online. Then I was later real happy I had bought locally when it had a problem and needed warranty replacement. Would have been better if it was perfectly problem free but c'est la vie.

When I was close to deciding on a computer I was looking at both uwatec galileo luna and suunto vyper air. I was actually leaning toward the suunto until I went to the LDS and saw them both in person. I liked the huge screen on the uwatec so much more that I went that route. I had looked at both online many times and the videos/photos just didn't do things justice.

Well, that's my long winded take. Keep in mind, I'm far from an expert in anything diving. Just someone who recently made the decision on "what dive computer." I'm still pretty happy with my decision, too.

. . .
Have you seen the Shearwater? It's got a GIANT color display that your buddy can read from 30' away in low lighting conditions. :) Just sayin' :)

I don't think a day has gone by in the last several months that I haven't seen a post on SB sing the praises of the Petrel.

I'm a total noob in diving, but not so much in other electronics fields. My take on it is that unless you just don't want to part with the coin later there is a pretty huge room for improvement in dive computers. It's 2013 and only a handful have oled display. Battery life is getting better, but very few (any?) even have decent wireless data capabilities. Many computers don't have user replaceable batteries. I just bought a rather expensive computer and it transmits data over irda for example. I could live with this computer for 20 years if I wanted I'm sure. I'm hoping that there will be something better to upgrade to in the future.

Funny you mention this. My Predator DOES have an OLED display. The battery lasts me about 150 dives (most dives are 1-3 hours long). It is user replaceable. I can transmit data to my laptop or smartphone using iRDA or Bluetooth.

I am certain that computers 20 years from now will be better than what I'm using. But the technology hasn't been invented yet. And I'm not willing to wait 10 or 20 years to find what it will be. Buy the absolute best you can afford, and be done with it for a decade or more.

I see no reason to upgrade my computer until either I develop new needs or computers develop new capabilities that are themselves compelling.

The former hasn't happened and probably never will--I know my interests and aptitudes and you won't catch me doing anything that involves gas switches, for example. The latter has not yet happened at a price point that is attractive. (I love the locator gizmo on the new Liquivision but it simply is not worth the upgrade cost.)

So, I will have my current computer until the cows come home. Buying the best one I could afford at the time helps to make that easy to live with.

Funny you mention this. My Predator DOES have an OLED display. The battery lasts me about 150 dives (most dives are 1-3 hours long). It is user replaceable. I can transmit data to my laptop or smartphone using iRDA or Bluetooth.

I am certain that computers 20 years from now will be better than what I'm using. But the technology hasn't been invented yet. And I'm not willing to wait 10 or 20 years to find what it will be. Buy the absolute best you can afford, and be done with it for a decade or more.

The predator is a great device. I considered it myself, but I wanted air integration which it does not offer. It's really a pity, since the predator already has a bluetooth radio, they could simply sell a bluetooth transmitter and produce a firmware upgrade. If they did that, it wouldn't have any flaws that I can come up with.

Following up some others' ideas with my own spin, here's what I look for:

1.) It needs to handle nitrox.

2.) PC download capability is a must. I like to look at my dives graphed & with max. and average depth.

3.) Air Integration capability is a must for me. I like having my start & end pressures & SAC calculated without me having to manually write it down, such as when I'm shore diving Bonaire. As much as people love the Shearwater Predator and Petrel, they show their tech. roots in that air integration isn't even an option on either, best I recall.

4.) Wrist vs. Console is up to you. I look of people on the forum like wrist unit. Unfortunately, as yet, the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt doesn't have a wrist option, yet I love the interface on the console.

5.) Now that I've got a Cobalt, I"m critical of user interfaces. If the interface reminds me of programing a cheap digital watch (hello, Oceanic Worldwide VT3!!!, that's not good. I like an interface I can change the time & gas to EAN 32 at the dive site, without consulting a manual or remembering how, because it's so easy to figure out. Awesome.

6.) I don't like digital compasses; I like a Suunto SK7. But you might want a digital compass included. You can still use an analogue compass if you have a digital.

7.) I like the large dive log memory, long charge time, and the rechargeable battery I don't have to take out & replace in the Cobalt.

8.) I like the idea of the 'find your buddy' transmitter capability in the new Liquivision Lynx. Sounds very nice. I don't know how easy it is to use, or how much improvement future Liquivision or competitor models may offer. This could be a compelling feature.

Be mindful that many people, including Solo divers, like to dive with a backup computer. On a live-aboard or even a charter boat op., this can prevent missing dives if a computer craps out. For that reason, a cheaper mid-range computer right now, with a new, 'top gun' offering in 4 or 5 years, could work out nicely for you.

I believe future models may have some neat new features - more OLED screens, more intuitive interfaces, perhaps more wireless PC interfaces (instead of $100 optional download cable kits), better battery life, buddy location features ala Lynx, and I'd like to see the computer log GPS coordinates at the start & end of a dive (since it can't underwater)). Maybe someday the AI wireless transmitters will be capable of sending out radio distress signals in case you get lost from your dive boat?

So, in summary, wrist vs. console, PC downloadable, AI or not, how important is interface to you, and what possible new computer feature (like what I listed above) would make you buy a new one?

Richard.

I waited 7 years to upgrade. Went from an Oceanic Veo 200 to a Shearwater Predator. The veo is still working by the way. I just wanted a comp with more balls to it that would handle mixed gasses. The veo is now a backup/loaner/teaching aid/student computer.

My first computer was the Oceanic Prodigy and did me for a few years till I changed over to Suunto Vyper, and the Prodigy became my backup.

The Vyper had Nitrox, PC link and a backlight. Also the trend has been towards more conservative algorithm than the early Oceanics.

That lasted a few more years till I got the Galileo Sol, which has a larger display, better backlight, a great wireless AI and a better PC link. I don't use the digital compass but it's nice as a backup. Now the Vyper is my backup computer.

A bright color display would be nice but I value AI more so I'll stick with my Galileo for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom