Lift procedure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think the key is not to waste the time needed to replace the reg before ascent. His best chance of survival depend on minimal immersion time and quick effective airway maintenance outside the water. Trying to replace could only prolong the ascent to safety. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

What I've been taught: (and we're talking a recreational dive here)
- Dive with buddy that knows how to rescue an unconscious diver, and you have practiced it... often.
- If reg is in, keep it in. If reg is out, leave it out. (Esp if cold water, we know that people can survive after rather long emersions)
- Get in the proper position to keep their head back and therefore airway open (allow expanding air to vent). **Have a qualified instructor teach you this**
- Follow the proper technique of managing their (and your) buoyancy to the surface for a controlled ascent. **Have a qualified instructor teach you this**
- The ascent should be controlled, but no dallying getting them to the surface. You can fix bent (of both you and the victim) but AGEs are a *****.

I highly recommend GUE's Triox class (recreational trimix) where this is a required skill to not only understand theoretically, but practice.

Hmm... No one said anything about checking mask for air/water,

Water filled mask, (ok to ascend)
Air filled mask, (ok to ascend)
Air/water filled mask. Remove mask then ascend.

What I was taught because if there is water/air in the mask then the air will expand on acent and possibly force water into lungs/stomach/mouth etc.

Or is this something that has been "disproven" although it couldn't hurt.

I would leave the regulator out of the mouth. So long as an open airway is maintained, any gas in the lungs will expand and will expel water from the mouth. Opening the mouth to put the regulator back in will only introduce water to the situation.

Better to get the diver to the surface, and then deal with giving air/oxygen at that point.

Seems that we all here share the same ideas, in that the main priority is getting the other diver to the surface safely and as soon as possible.
When I spoke to the student about this, they didn't really believe me at first, until explained at the end of the day, the primary plan is to get them to the surface asap, as opposed to wasting time trying to place a reg in someones mouth and purge it.

JeffreyD, thats the first time I've heard the theory about the air/water in the mask. I'll have a think about that one!

Dave

ScubaDadMiami:
Opening the mouth to put the regulator back in will only introduce water to the situation.

However, if the diver regains consciousness during the ascent, he'll have air to breathe.

Back
Top Bottom