Linux video Editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linux has come a long way since I started using it in 1993. Hurray! Watch out Evil Empire.

drbill:
Linux has come a long way since I started using it in 1993. Hurray! Watch out Evil Empire.

Ya, it was called Unix back then...LOL Thank you Bell Labs!!!

What are you using Mandrake, Red Hat, or SUSE...

Do you have to compile Cinelerra?

Not to hijack the thread (much) but Linspire http://linspire.com is worth taking a look at. It's geared towards the non-geek; fast & easy to install. Downloading and installing new application programs for it takes 1 mouse click.

There is a non-linear video editing program called KINO, it's geared for the beginner or folks that just don't need a powerhouse like Cinelerra.
http://www.kinodv.org/

Poseidon8118:
Ya, it was called Unix back then...LOL Thank you Bell Labs!!!

What are you using Mandrake, Red Hat, or SUSE...

Actually it was called Linux back then... Yggdrasil Linux version 0.99 I believe (I still have the installation CD and disk somewhere). It was released in the fall of 1993 I believe, but definitely 1993.

It was called Linux right from the beginning - Linux version 0.01, released mid September 1991.
UNIX was an older more powerful OS mainly used in mainframe networking by larger companies. UNIX was never free, and actually quite expensive.

Kim:
It was called Linux right from the beginning - Linux version 0.01, released mid September 1991.
UNIX was an older more powerful OS mainly used in mainframe networking by larger companies. UNIX was never free, and actually quite expensive.

Correctimundo (although I didn't realize Linux was released that early)! I used UNIX (various flavors) and Linux on many computers in the 90's but only occasionally use Linux now. This might get me to upgrade a bit. Far more stable than the junk the Evil Empire comes out with based on my experience. The only time Linux ever crashed on me was when I did something stupid (which, of course, I never actually do... do I?).

I rarely actually use linux except when testing Apache servers. I fooled around a bit with red hat at home but unfortunately it was simply too complicated back then to use. Funny thing is - when I switched from Mac I thought the Windows was too complicated to use!

The only real reason I stick with windows at home is that linux doesn't have the games I like to play. The only reason I stick with windows at work is because -despite openoffice getting better- it still isn't up to snuff with Office yet.

I'm actually new to the videography thing - I just got my first video camera (PC1000 this week) and I'm waiting on a Top Dawg. In the meantime I realized that, yes, there are free alternatives to windoze and maybe there was an free editing tool also available.

What's the "most compatible" firewire card for linux?

I also have tinkered with various versions of Linux. The problems that I have had include the above mentioned Office thing but also a lot of other software - expensive software! - that I would have to throw away if I switched completely. The other problem is hardware related. Buy a new card and the chances are that there are no drivers for it - although that has changed a bit recently I think.

The last time I had it installed I partitioned my drive and had a boot manager. That way I could choose at startup which OS to boot to. I took Linux off finally as my drive was too small really. Now I have a bigger drive so maybe I'll try that again soon!

Back
Top Bottom