Liveaboard options for Red Sea in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karnold

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to book a liveaboard for July in the Red Sea - ideally I'd like to get to the northern wrecks as well as Brothers to see some pelagics and reefs. I'd also like to more generally become a better diver, whether than means taking a GUE Fundies course (it seems slightly cult-esque so I'm a bit reluctant), or starting down the path to technical diving in overhead environments. Right now I have about 170 dives in a variety of conditions (about half easy tropical dives, the other half cold water/drysuit/strong current/rough conditions) and am AOW and Rescue certified, for whatever that's worth.

Any suggestions on Red Sea liveaboards where I could push myself and do some additional formal training? I've looked into Red Sea Explorers, and they seem like potentially a really good fit, but I'm having trouble getting them to respond to emails.

Hello!

The only courses taught on Red Sea liveaboards I've been on, as far as I could tell, were Nitrox and/or AOW. The 3-4 dives-per-day regime does not leave time for much else. And, to be perfectly honest, I always had some doubts about the standards of AOW courses in that setting, as they often seem merely a way to justify taking OW divers below 18m (pretty inevitable if you're diving the Brothers and the wrecks of Abu Nuhas, for example). Typically guides/instructors are too busy and too few for you to get your money's worth.

My advice would be to further your training somewhere land-based, not on a liveaboard in the Red Sea.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Thanks, that's super helpful - I had been a bit concerned about the timing of squeezing in training while keeping up the pace of dives on a liveaboard, so good to hear from you about that as well. I may look into taking some time in Dahab then, before a liveaboard, to do some additional training.

Liveaboards don't combine the northern wrecks and Brothers into one itinerary. I'd recommend a Brothers itinerary on liveaboard and then land based to see the northern wrecks and do whatever training you want to do.

Liveaboards don't combine the northern wrecks and Brothers into one itinerary. I'd recommend a Brothers itinerary on liveaboard and then land based to see the northern wrecks and do whatever training you want to do.

Blue o Two used to offer ”North & Brothers” — I think that was the name. Probably other operators too. So not correct info. I have done Abu Nuhas—Thistlegorm—RasMo—Tiran Strait—Brothers with BoT. There are yearly variation on what’s offered though. July generally good for all itineraries, esp RasMo, Tiran and Brothers.

I have done Brothers and the northern wrecks (including Rosi Möller on one of the trips) on Golden Dolphin; it usually works out if it is a 2 week trip.

Well I stand corrected! I'll say that I've never seen that itinerary before so although it exists it is probably rare. The one week itineraries are much more common.

I'd also like to more generally become a better diver, whether than means taking a GUE Fundies course (it seems slightly cult-esque so I'm a bit reluctant), or starting down the path to technical diving in overhead environments.
It's a tangent to your thread; since you brought up GUE Fundies, here's a thread called Why are non-GUE Divers so interested in what GUE does? If you want to see a discussion with a mix of advocates and skeptics, questions and answers, it may help you get a better understanding. Disclaimer: I have no GUE training. I rely on resources like this to learn about them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom