Liveaboards: 'cattle boats' or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cattleboats?
Have you decided where you want to go on your First Liveaboard??????
robin:D
I was thinking Turks & Caicos, or the Bahamas, or somewhere in the Caribbean(closer to home). I would like to venture further someday(like Australia or Palau) when I can afford to fork over a lot of money to get somewhere. Right now I can't see spending a grand or so on a flight.

It seems that a liveboard that has ~20 or less divers is the way to go. (as well as private bathrooms! lol)

Palau is one of those trip where it really pays to save your frequent flier miles.
I had a butt-load of Continental points and was able to get tickets for both me and my wife for basically nothing out of Seattle.

It (Palau) worth saving up for if you dont have the points. The dive trip of a lifetime.

I've only been on Mike Balls Spoilsport. Luxury and no cattle feeling at all! Lots of room and a divemaster always available for individual dives. It was ridiculously well cared for diving. I'll do it again.

I was thinking Turks & Caicos, or the Bahamas, or somewhere in the Caribbean(closer to home). I would like to venture further someday(like Australia or Palau) when I can afford to fork over a lot of money to get somewhere. Right now I can't see spending a grand or so on a flight.

Sounds perfect then. You have some good boats to choose from.
Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving (SE Bahamas, Turks & Caicos)
Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984 (Belize, Turks & Caicos, Bay Islands)
Dancer Fleet - Peter Hughes Diving (Belize)
www.aquacatcruises.com (NE Bahamas)
Nekton Cruises > Home (North and SW Bahamas in spring-summer)

all of those have private rooms with bathrooms and are located where there is good diving.
definitely save up your money for a liveaboard trip to Palau in the future!

robin:D

Almost all of our trips have been on live-aboards, you can check out trip reports at our site.

For us we look for.

1. No more than 18 Divers per vessel. We have no problem asking before booking do they split them up into smaller groups and dive separate sites? But in general the fewer divers they take the better. Good example would be the Fiji Aggressor II only took 10 people or the Ocean Hunter boats in Palau.
2. Minimum of 4 dives per Day and better yet 5 dives. The best is if they have an "Open Dive Deck". Meaning your only limitation is your computer and if they have to move the boat at a certain time. Another nice plus is if they have a "solo" diver allowance for when your buddy just wants to take a nap in the sun.
3. We pack cameras so once the guides get to see us dive will we be able to go at our own pace? Dive our own profile as long as it is close to what our fellow divers are doing?
4. If you are a photog than it is important that they be familiar with your gear and have a decent camera area.
5. Look for reviews here and other sites. Most of the major carriers have been reviewed extensively.
6. Watch how the front office deals with you. It is often a reflection of how the dive operation will run.
7. (In general) You get what you pay for so another factor is "comfort level" so cabin size, do you want a king sized bed, do you get sea sick are other factors.
8. Of course be honest with what is important to you. Do you want to dive, dive, dive or go at a more relaxed pace?

Hope that helps

I've only seen a "cattleboat" situation once it seem to happen in really popular dive sites. These are usually day trippers who's there to do one or two dives and thats it. The great barrier reef is a good example. They have catamarans out there that can take 30-40 divers at a time. There are also dive shops that are close to places where cruise ships dock. The divers that usually do these dont care either because they're only there for the day.

Live aboards typically limit their passenger to crew ratio to about 3 passengers per crew member. Sometimes its 2:1. A few years ago, my friends and I spent a week in the Odessey in Chuuk. There were only 7 of us in the boat. We almost had a guide per diver. you just have to remember that the moment you do a live-aboard dive trip, you'd never want to do a land based trip again.

As mjh stated, what do you want to do? Live aboards maximizes the diving per individual. 20-30 dives in a week isn't uncommon in a live aboard. Just make sure you research the live aboard before booking a trip and you wont regret it.

you just have to remember that the moment you do a live-aboard dive trip, you'd never want to do a land based trip again.

That becomes more arguable with experience.

Many of what we Americans insist on doing only as a liveaboard, Europeans and Brits see as a day-dive land-based. At approximately 1/2 the cost (or better), it's easy to see why.

- You will also likely find divers of greatly varying abilities, some who are engaged in a heavy learning curve (the most easily seen by us Americans is when you go to the Galapagos)

Slight hijack here but, RM would you expand upon this? Just curious - I'm scheduled for a Galapagos liveaboard later this year. Are you referring to inexperience with currents, colder water and panga diving, that sort of thing? Feel free to PM if you'd like.

Slight hijack here but, RM would you expand upon this? Just curious - I'm scheduled for a Galapagos liveaboard later this year. Are you referring to inexperience with currents, colder water and panga diving, that sort of thing? Feel free to PM if you'd like.

Not really a hi-jack as this thread is discussing the overall liveaboard experience.

Yes, exactly- the currents, the temp, and small boat entry & recovery.

Vertical as well as lateral currents- many folks have experienced some minor currents, but few onboard will have anything more under their belts other than Cozumel.

As to the Galapagos example in specific, the thought of grabbing hand-over-hand on black lava "reefs" is foreign to most. Did you bring leather work gloves? Understanding not just drift diving, but how to "hide" behind rocks from current as you hold on and watch the critters.

Some divers may have had some real current experience, but very very few have had vertical current (up and downwellings) experience. It's quite a steep learning curve for everyone the first go round. Some folks never figure it out.

Temps? Not just the issue of cold water, but also the repetitive dives offered by liveaboards. On your surface interval, in an ideal world, you would doze comfortably. Try that on a liveaboard. Being on a ship saps your strength even as you are unaware of it... or asleep. The cold, the humidity, the motion, the unfamiliar surroundings. It all adds up to make your SI less than perfect for recovery.

Small boats? Don't assume they'll be pangas or RIBs, but you might want to be ready for wither and understand that they are somewhat similar... and different. The big trick for most is doing negatively buoyant back-rolls in current. Most dive ops there suggest you enter with "a little air in your BC and then descend very quickly". Call it what you will, if you are safe and prepared, a negative entry and fast descent in current is the way to go (when so directed by the dive guide)

Deploying your SMB sausage from a depth of 25fsw and hanging off at 15' waiting for your boatsman to oplot and schedule your pick up. Most divers have an SMB, but it is worn as an ornament, clipped to their BC. No idea what to do with it, most will surface, blow it up and wave it. They usually puke from sea sickness by the time the boat comes to get them.

Getting back into the boat? Can you safely doff your rig and pass it properly to the boatsman so you don't ruin his day? Are you ready to "get small" with your personal space, your gear area, so that the world may continue to revolve around you?

Many things like that. And don't forget the big one... most folks have never been aboard a small boat (and don't kid yourself, 140' is a small boat) for more than an evening cocktail cruise. You are stepping into a marine industrial environment and although the crew does their best to keep you alive and toe-unstubbed, many folks are likely to get banged-up in one way or the other.

They get easier as you go, but the point of what I was saying is that for many, the Galloping Pogos Liveaboard is usually their first such adventure.

Back
Top Bottom