Liveaboards: 'cattle boats' or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And don't forget the big one... most folks have never been aboard a small boat (and don't kid yourself, 140' is a small boat) for more than an evening cocktail cruise. You are stepping into a marine industrial environment and although the crew does their best to keep you alive and toe-unstubbed, many folks are likely to get banged-up in one way or the other.

LOL, I just got back from a crossing to the Bahamas on a 30' sailboat and I still have the bruises to show for it. Thanks for the other info, this will help me prepare for my trip.

Cheers,
Lilla

RoatanMan gives some real good advice. I was in the Navy for 25 years and it cracks me up watching some of these people go up and down ladders at sea. Ships have ladders not stairs. You want tp get hurt, all it takes is the right wave at the right time and you not holding onto a railing and it's launch the alert diver. Metal decks are slippery when wet.
Now all that being said. I have been on several liveaboards. I usually dive the Aggressor Fleet because they are located where I want to go. There are plenty of good boats out there and a few dogs, so do your research. I have been lucky I guess and have never been on a boat with unruley passengers, all have been mature seasoned divers.
I have noticed that it cost me about as much to dive in Belize as it does Fiji. From Seattle it cost me about as much in airfare and time to dive Belize as it does Fiji. Some of the best diving is the most time consuming to get to as far as travel is concerned. You want to dive the Odyssea in Truk, another top rated boat, it could take two days and five stops to get there. Raja Ampat, Maldives same story. As far as dollars per dive I give the nod to Liveaboards.

And don't forget the big one... most folks have never been aboard a small boat (and don't kid yourself, 140' is a small boat) for more than an evening cocktail cruise. You are stepping into a marine industrial environment and although the crew does their best to keep you alive and toe-unstubbed, many folks are likely to get banged-up in one way or the other.

Amen, brother! I have also been on a lot of liveaboards, and it's a rare trip where someone doesn't get dinged up in some way or not. (Myself included:shakehead:) So, although most of these boats come with decent first aid lockers, I still prefer to bring my own rather comprehensive kit. Foot injuries are fairly common, as these boats nearly always work with a 'barefoot only' policy, and we vacation divers don't have the time to develop the leathery skin and callouses that the professional seadogs have. Be warned, and take precautions. Woody

I think you defiately get what you pay for. Budget boats have to make their money somehow so the cheaper the fare usually the more passengers they carry, or offer less service.

Just ask an operator how many passengers and crew are on board and what the itinerary is. If lots of travelling is could be a rushed trip.

We've been on three liveaboards and have been fortunate in that all three trips were great overall. Plus, on the Cuan Law we were only 5 on a boat with space for 20 and on the Sundancer II we were only 12 out of 20 so neither of these were close to being a cattle boat. We've also been on the Turks & Caicos Explorer II with a full complement of 20 divers and still no problem. All three boats let you dive your own plan and everybody spread out in different directions so no crowding to stress over.

Stay away from any Nekton boat...see my post...you will be very disappointed.

We have been on both aquacat and explorer ventures turks and caicos - and both trips were extremely relaxing - the only time we actually interacted with other guests was meal times and dive briefings...even though boats aren't huge, there is enough room to spread out and relax and enjoy yourself....we look forward to our 3rd live aboard in february - I usually do 3-4 dives a day and my other half always does as many as possible - it's great to take a nap, sit in the sun, read a book, etc....I vote no on the cattle boat call..

Back
Top Bottom