Living in Hawaii Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember, most of the crime is petty theft, not violent crime. Your stuff might get stolen but nobody abducts kids much.

catherine96821:
Remember, most of the crime is petty theft, not violent crime. Your stuff might get stolen but nobody abducts kids much.
Our experiences have been good in Hawaii. Leave the windows rolled down and the doors unlocked and leave nothing in the car that you want to see again and no problem at all.

I wouldn't dare to compare Bonaire with Hawaii. Give me a break.

Chad, I check this website everyday for information on jobs and housing. http://honolulu.craigslist.org/

It has a lot of information to give you ideas on housing as well as other stuff. I will be moving to Oahu this summer and I have been researching this for a long time and I find the Craigslist site very good. It doesn't tell you the dangerous areas to stay away from but you can get a good idea because of the prices.

Good luck.

Chris

chadhender:
The office where I will be working is on Biship Street Downtown, would it be a good idea to live in this area (crime wise)? I really want to be somewhere close to work.

If you will be working on Bishop St., there are several residential condos close by. Executive Centre is probably the closest. It's a combination hotel/condo building. A couple of other residential condos in downtown that come to mind is Harbor Square and Harbor Court. Not sure on the rent. From any of these places you could walk to work.

Close by is Makiki, which is full of condos and close enough to be a pretty convenient bus ride downtown. The Kapiolani area also has condos (not as dense as Makiki) but is a bit closer to downtown than Makiki.

You probably won't have any problem finding a bus route to downtown. I personally can't stand the bus, but I'm an impatient person and like to get from point A to B directly. If you did want to drive to work, not all buildings offer parking to "non-tenants". Parking per month downtown will be about $200.

i agree with chepar on "The Bus" (actual name). We live on Hickam and decided to take the bus to waikiki. 1 1/2 hours later we made it to downtown. It is a 15 minute drive by your own car. We only took the bus so we could do some drinking. We finally decided to drive and park at the Hale Koa open parking (24hr) and take a cab home. The bus takes around an hour to get back to base and when you are drinking you don't have the hour bathroom break time to wait. Anyways. Living downtown your bus commute won't be as long, but there are tons of stops. You are not allowed to carry luggage on the bus either. You can have groceries and such, just not luggage. Good luck in finding a place and we will have to go diving once you all get settled in.

thanks choppers, I look forward to diving with you too. I will be diving next weekend here in texas at the Texas Flower Gardens, I cant wait!

I'm taking a job on oahu, some feedbac on the job offer........base is 87,000$ how does that rate based on the cost of living there ?

Robert Ray:
I'm taking a job on oahu, some feedbac on the job offer........base is 87,000$ how does that rate based on the cost of living there ?

Well, I guess it all depends on what you're accustomed to. For sure people (and even entire families) live here on less. Obviously your quality of living will depend on how many people that amount of money is supporting. If it's just you, you really shouldn't have a problem.

Since the rental market is rather tight, I would try to negotiate some sort of relocation package - either they fly you in to check out the areas and look for a place or they'll put you up at their expense for a certain amount of time while you look - or a combination of both.

If you plan to buy, I would still plan on renting for a short while until you figure out what area you like best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom