Lobster Mini-Season 7/28 - 29/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck getting any detailed info on good lobster spots. I go out of Key West and usually have my limit by 9:00am. I would love to learn where to go in the Miami area. Will post some pictures when the time comes.
back40

back40:
Good luck getting any detailed info on good lobster spots. I go out of Key West and usually have my limit by 9:00am. I would love to learn where to go in the Miami area. Will post some pictures when the time comes.
back40
Thanks. I'll probably just try to get a on a charter.

OK people it's time to re-group and go forward. Cubascuba where are you? you started this, any ideas? this is the time to speak! Charters, does anyone have the scoop?? Post, post, post...

The time to find good lobster spots is now. You have to know where they are before the season opens. Scouting lobster spots is a great excuse to get out and dive. Going out at midnight the first day of mini season doesn't accomplish much unless you know where the critters are and want to get them before someone else does. Find them now, catch them when the mini season opens.

DennisS:
The time to find good lobster spots is now. You have to know where they are before the season opens. Scouting lobster spots is a great excuse to get out and dive. Going out at midnight the first day of mini season doesn't accomplish much unless you know where the critters are and want to get them before someone else does. Find them now, catch them when the mini season opens.

OK. Does any-one know of a charter that goes out or someone real cool with a boat that could accomomdate atleast 5 of us? Who else has a plan? Well, I don't think I'll be a threat to anyones lobster spot I just want to see I don't know if I could touch a live one (you know the normal girly touching an ikkiy thing syndrome, uhck!) I want to see what it's all about, then I'll eat it,(the lobster that is!) :wink:

Oh yea, how do you catch a lobster?

Should we buy something, a net bag? I've seen guys with this rod thing with a lazo at the end. They said it's for lobstering. So you don't use your hands? Because if I don't have to use my bare hands, well maybe, nah i'll still watch.

scbababe:
Oh yea, how do you catch a lobster?

Should we buy something, a net bag? I've seen guys with this rod thing with a lazo at the end. They said it's for lobstering. So you don't use your hands? Because if I don't have to use my bare hands, well maybe, nah i'll still watch.
Bare hands is a bad idea, they call them spiny lobster for a reason, some people reach in and grab them with a gloved hand. I've talked to some people who have used the noose and really like it. I used to use the gloved hand method but found that the tickle stick and net method works better. The lobster swim by curling their tails back under them, it really shoots them backwards fast. You can coax them out of their lair with the tickle stick and then put the net behind them. When they shoot backward they go into the net.

I'm still looking for a good spot. Its fun exploring.

I have used a snare, and the tickle stick and net method. Both work find depending on where you are getting lobster. What works the best however is the buddy team where one has the snare, the other the tickle stick.

Scuba_Jenny:
I have used a snare, and the tickle stick and net method. Both work find depending on where you are getting lobster. What works the best however is the buddy team where one has the snare, the other the tickle stick.

Jenn, you've done this before? Hey then! what are we waiting for? Let's start looking for spots our selves..(!!!!)

O.K. now, who holds the snare :11: and what is..
did you say tickle stick? :eyebrow: I'll hold the net...that should be safe right? Is it better to go at night or day?

When lobstering, if using the team method, one has the snare, the other the tickle stick and net. I lost 2 snares last year :( one, I left on a boat. and the other I lost in the surf zone), so I am only gonna use the tickle stick and net this year. Grab yourself some lobster catching gear and lets go. I have already been scouting spots. So far its been hit and miss.
Going at night, the lobster are out in the open and easier to catch. My first night dive was a lobster hunt with 3 other girls. We caught 5. The 2 guys went at midnight the night before and got 3! LOL

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom