Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"A known island thief..."
That’s the poor English translation. In Spanish, it says “Pitus”, conocido deliquente en Cozumel dedicado al robo y venta de sustancias ilegales.”

He was in the news not so long ago (May 2021), when he accused the Cozumel police of kidnapping, beating, and torturing him in an effort to make him implicate another person in a murder. The feds opened an investigation into the episode but I don’t know what came of it.

As far as the poor English translation you quote about where Isla de la Pasion is, the original Spanish article did not make that mistake.

Passing on the info from English translations of original Spanish articles is like playing the child's game "telephone," especially when the original Spanish report is... let me say it charitably... questionable.

It looks like the Carnival Valor barge was late arriving on the island this weekend after turning around to help in a body search. I'm amazed that the guy survived the fall, much less many hours in chilly water...

He was in the water during the daytime, isn't that water pretty warm, combined with the sun - very lucky man though

He was in the water during the daytime, isn't that water pretty warm,

Unless the water is around 37C or 99F, which only happens rarely in parts of the Indian Ocean, it's going to lead to substantial heat loss. The more below body temperature the water is, the more rapid that loss will be. (Of course, if it's much above that temperature, it'll lead to overheating.) At a core temperature of around 32C or 90F people will start having atrial arrhythmias and hypotension. At around 28C or 83F, people tend to die of a range of things including ventricular dysrhythmia/asystole pulmonary edema. The rate of temperature decrease even for a constant water temperature depends on numerous variables, but one mathematical model predicts survival of around 30 hours in 23C/83F water. That doesn't take into account any other environmental risks such as wave action, sun exposure, and dehydration.

combined with the sun

The sun doesn't contribute enough heat to overcome the massive heat transfer to an actual ocean. If anything, it's likely just to add sunburn injury (I've seen people require skin grafts after a long summer's day in the sun, for example when passed out drunk on the beach).

There's also wave action to consider. Even pretty gentle waves will beat someone up pretty badly. I once had a shrimper who fell off a boat in the Gulf during very calm weather. A couple of days later when he was found he was black-and-blue with substantial rhabdomyolysis (skeletal muscle breakdown) and myoglobinemia (buildup of myoglobin from all those ruptured muscle cells) that led to a very high risk of kidney failure.

Don't forget that hardly anyone falls off a boat into saltwater with a ready source of drinking water. It doesn't take long to become dehydrated.

very lucky man though

True. People can easily die of exposure after floating in seemingly-warm, seemingly-calm water for that long.

This wasn't news because someone fell (jumped?) off a cruise ship, which seems to happen fairly often. It was news because they found a body (which doesn't seem to happen often). It was big news because they found a live body, which seems practically never to happen.

Another shootout on Av. 20 at Calle 8 at 7:30 last night. Two kids sitting on the bench in front of their house caught it on their cellphone. Missed the target. That makes 20 misses or wounded this year, and 11 or 12 dead. I am going to quit counting and reporting now since it is happening about as frequently as moto accidents.

Security meeting notice

Attachments

• meeting jpg.jpg
    meeting jpg.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 58
I never even seen it posted on any of the Facebook groups.......

Back
Top Bottom