Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was asked to post that notice, so I did. From what I understand, the meeting will be held by the Merida, Yucatan's Consular office. I imagine it will be the same old song and dance they always do, "Register your name, passport number, and email address to us so we can notify you if...." They need to justify their existence in some way. I imagine a sheet will be provided for people to sign as proof the meeting was held. Mexican functionaries do the same thing, plus photos to prove they were doing their job.

That meeting notice shows here in Cozumel - Terri lives here. And I'm sure you are correct - a big song and dance...... Any question will be no meaningful answer and not at their fault - what could the answer possibly be....

IMO, the tension has certainly racheted down since the arrival of the green guys

That meeting notice shows here in Cozumel - Terri lives here.
Correct, it will be held at Pancho's Backyard Restaurant but it is being put on by the Merida office.
By my count, both the attempted and the successful assassinations have gone up since the reinforcements arrived.

Dorothy Ngutter will be heading the meeting. Sheis the new Consul General of the United States in Mérida, Mexico, the U.S. Consulate for the Yucatán Peninsula. Dorothy is a career Foreign Service Officer with the U.S. Department of State. She most recently served as the Director of the International Narcotics & Law Enforcement Section at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan managing border security and justice sector programs. Ngutter was also deputy political counsel at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey. Previously, she was a public diplomacy officer at the U.S. Mission to NATO in Brussels, Belgium, and a consular and political officer at the U.S. Embassy in Bamako, Mali. She also served as special assistant to Ambassador William J. Burns in the office of the undersecretary of state for political affairs covering Africa and global affairs, as a diplomatic officer for Peru in the State Department’s Office of Western Hemisphere Affairs, and as surveillance officer at the department’s 24/7 crisis management center. Aside from English, Ngutter speaks Spanish, Turkish, basic French, and Swahili.

D Ngutter.jpg

I was asked to post that notice, so I did. From what I understand, the meeting will be held by the Merida, Yucatan's Consular office. I imagine it will be the same old song and dance they always do, "Register your name, passport number, and email address to us so we can notify you if...." They need to justify their existence in some way. I imagine a sheet will be provided for people to sign as proof the meeting was held. Mexican functionaries do the same thing, plus photos to prove they were doing their job.
Which is why I asked about the point of the meeting. She can do nothing. Nothing.

I'm not aware of any laboratory evidence of the presence of adulterants in any of the many people who've reported blacking out after drinking at Mexican resorts. In fact, even though there are news reports of the seizure of "tainted" alcohol from resorts, I find no reports of how it was "tainted". My personal suspicion is that what got seized was untaxed or cheap product mislabeled as expensive product.
The only thing I have to add to your otherwise excellent post is that people talk a lot about methanol, but it is particularly easy to detect. Since it's metabolized to formaldehyde, you would be able to smell it, even without a lab. You literally get pickled from the inside, thus the blindness and death. But of course a laboratory would be able to detect it as well. Even the moonshiners, as I understand it, check for methanol. Not saying it never happens, but as you note ethanol itself is a mild poison that can wreak havoc on the central nervous system.

Back
Top Bottom