Local takes a hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had my MRI yesterday and will get the results next week. I'll also go to the Audiologist next Tuesday to get tested. I'll let you all know results and tests as they come available.
They did an MRI on me as well, although a few weeks after my incident. Nothing seen.

(Some evidence of a few remaining brain cells though :D)

My hearing had totally shut down in one ear, but a subsequent hearing test showed it was back to my usual ruined hearing levels. :(

I hope you eventually get some closure on this, from the MRI or whatever it comes from. I never did and it still bugs me, kinda like looking over your shoulder all the time when diving, waiting for something to happen.

Here at the Catalina Chamber, the total bill for a typical treatment -not including Physician's Fees- is around $4k (billed to your DAN Insurance of course); that's including patient transportation by any County Department (i.g. Baywatch Paramedic Boat, LA Sheriff's or County Fire Dept Helicopter, and United States Coast Guard as well), and helicoptering in the Doctor on-call from mainland USC/LA County General Hospital too. The charges for just being evaluated without chamber treatment is just the typical standard bill for an Emergency Room visit at a County Hospital (again Physician's Fees billed separately).

BTW, if you use a private air transportation service from the mainland like Mercy Medical Airlift, that can run about $2k itself, just to be helicoptered over to Catalina. . .

EAN25 / MOD 100 / Aver D 90 / BT 20 min

Deco on back-gas required:

1st stop 50 (1 min)
2nd stop 40 (1 min)
3rd stop 30 (1 min)
Final stop 20 (15 mins)

Total dive time 40 mins

According to this, a fairly conservative program, I will admit, 12 mins of deco were likely omitted.

The rule then would have been for 24-48 hours of surface interval before diving again.

Had the required deco time been accomplished, then the min surface interval would have been 2 to 3 hours before the 2nd dive because the N2 loading appears to have been at the limits.

This is what I suspect was problematic with these dives:

1) Deco time insufficient
2) Surface interval time insufficient
3) Bottom mix choice (ideal would be TMX 30/30, 2nd place EAN36, 3rd place EAN32)
4) Deco mix choice (ideal would be either EAN 50 or 100% O2)

Rockjock, I hope you get well soon and feel better. You need better deco software however, and/or you need to set it to a more conservative setting. None of us is simply 21 anymore, and therefore USN tables simply do not work.

Your humble servant, NEREAS

When I double checked all my above calculations over the weekend, I found that my software was set for high altitude diving. Therefore I wanted to set the record straight with corrections, although without further fanning of the flames here:

Dive #1 EAN25 / MOD 100 / Aver D 90 / BT 20 min

Egression stops required:

Initial deco ceiling warning, but cleared during normal ascent;
Remaining NDL time -0-;
15 fsw stop for 3 mins;

Total required dive time including ascent and stops: 27 mins.

According to this, which is a very conservative program, there was no actual deco obligation during the first dive, just a deco ceiling warning at first, which then cleared during ascent.

Surface interval: 1 hr 33 mins

Dive #2 EAN25 / MOD 60 / Aver D 50 / BT 39 min

Egression stops required:

No deco warnings, remaining NDL time 4 mins;
15 fsw stop for 3 mins;

Total required dive time including ascent and stops: 44 mins.

1) Deco time was not required nor therefore omitted;
2) Surface interval time was fine.

As I said, I wanted to correct the record here regarding the computations. And without fanning the flames any further.

Teamcasa did a nice clean-up job on the thread.

Rockjock, I do hope you get well soon and feel better.

Wow, that is is great. I'm glad you found the difference. There had to be an explanation.

And here in Hawaii, no high elevation diving to be had. We are diving in the sea, hence, sea level. (wink)

Thanks for clearing that up Nereas. Apologies for jumping on you a bit about that :)

Mark

Wow Jay... sorry to hear about this...

Does this mean you want to sell back my deco bottle?

Wow Jay... sorry to hear about this...

Does this mean you want to sell back my deco bottle?

LOL, my crystal ball tells me that the answer to your question will include a capital N and a capital O :) ... I have dibs anyways :p Actually, rockjock's wife said I could have all his stuff for 7 bucks....he just doesn't know it yet.

You should come visit...hey what are you doing in 2 weeks? Jimbo will be out.

I'd love to be there... but the construction on my house starts this week. In fact I managed to convince my wife that I need to start instructing again so I can afford all my dive toys again.

[...]And here in Hawaii, no high elevation diving to be had. [...]

I have heard persistent rumors of people diving Lake Waiau.

Certainly not high (ahem) on my list of places to dive...

Back
Top Bottom