Local takes a hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the dive physicans that have looked at Jays case had said that due to the profile and symptoms it could not be a DCS hit. Obviously all the chamber rides shows that it is a hit .......
Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, I submit that the success of the chamber rides does not show unequivocally that it was IEDCS, and not barotrauma.

From Kevrumbo's research post on this:
"This is because the barotrauma is caused by a gas pocket in the middle ear that can vent via the eustachian tube. "

Such a gas pocket would also be recompressed and symptoms relieved. Barotrauma is not ruled out.

Agreed, but 2 ENTs saw him prior to entering the chamber. Hence my educated guess. Now having said this, yes there is still a chance that it was barotrauma. However, his condition (from my observation) did not improve over a 15 hour period, however it significantly improved after a 9hr chamber ride. Does this point exclusively to DCS? No...but based on what the second ENT said/saw my bet is still on IEDCS.

What did he say/see...again that's something I will leave for Jay to discuss.

Just to play Devil's advocate here for a moment, I submit that the success of the chamber rides does not show unequivocally that it was IEDCS, and not barotrauma.

From Kevrumbo's research post on this:
"This is because the barotrauma is caused by a gas pocket in the middle ear that can vent via the eustachian tube. "

Such a gas pocket would also be recompressed and symptoms relieved. Barotrauma is not ruled out.

Yeah good point. I am stretching a bit. I made the comment of it being a DCS hit due to the number of chamber rides and what Jay said happened to his symptoms in-between rides.

Technically DCS could still be ruled out. It might be ruled as a pre-existing condition aggravated by scuba diving. Such as middle-ear barotrauma that has been mentioned here.

I guess we will have to wait and hear what Jay says after his next round of tests and results, provided the trolls dont keep him from posting anymore.

************* MODERATOR POST ***************

I've re-opened this thread with a reminder that this is about a local Hawaiian resident reporting about a DCS hit he received and his subsequent treatment.

Discussions revolving why should be placed in the accidents & incidents forum.
Discussions about deco tables should be in the technical diver forum.

I regret I had to delete many posts and replies that were not on the topic. Should any other off topic post arise, please use the report button.

Thank you

Catherine,

The MRI was to see if there might be any other cause for the problem seeing as my primary symptom was vertigo. I have a friend who actually had the exact same thing happen to him about a month ago, but he wasn't diving. They did an MRI on him and found evidence of two prior mini-strokes and have since diagnosed his current episode on the same.

I don't think they will find evidence of any strokes, but that is the sort of thing they are looking for as well as any problems in my ears that might predispose me towards this type of hit. Again, I hope/think they won't find anything, but they want to rule it out and seeing as the DMO that is seeing me (2 of them currently) are all military ones with the Seal Delivery Vehicle Team (neither is the Bachelor).

They are going to audiology next week and they will be testing my ears externally.

I am also calling to set up my appointment with the Cardiology department next week. They are going to do an echogram on my heart to see if anything rears its head there as well.

I have also posed a supposition to my primary DMO as to a possible cause myself. He doesn't think that it could be, but also said he is not willing to rule it out. He is taking it to the team of DMOs he has been sharing this case with as to get their input as well.

As I get results back I will share them as can.

Thanks again to everybody.

I've re-opened this thread with a reminder that this is about a local Hawaiian resident reporting about a DCS hit he received and his subsequent treatment.
I wondered W T F happened to the thread, and busted Leesa's chops (sorta) about dumping it.

As anyone knows that has read from the start, I had an eerily similar episode with post dive vertigo five years ago, uncertain as to what/why. Therefore, I am all over this thread.

And why is a non-Hawaii resident a mod here???:14:

thanks

interesting, the work-up.

that place is quite interesting...suffice it to say most of their patients will not be too outspoken anytime soon. lol...if anybody is going to voice any concerns, I guess it will be up to you all. (since you can speak and all...) When I was over there it was full of head trauma and wound healing for the bedridden. And they had certain *other problems* as well, not a cheery place.

The Kuakini chamber is excellent - I've been there twice and have zero complaints. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to treating DCS.

Dan insurance is a no-brainer, but even out of pocket it's less expensive than you'd think. An average treatment is $3000 or so; not cheap but still affordable for most people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom