Local takes a hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>I am also calling to set up my appointment with the Cardiology department next week. They are going to do an echogram on my heart to see if anything rears its head there as well.<snip>
Do you know what type Echocardiogram Procedure they're gonna do Jay?
With yours and other undeserved hit incidents (especially Kimber's Cerebral AGE), intuition is now screaming at me to stop procrastinating and finally get this Exam scheduled.

Examples (from Doc Wong's Tech One Report in the DIR Group):
[DocWong] I haven't had any hint of DCS since with any of my recreational and tech dives but did get a PFO check in the past. Unfortunately it wasn't the gold standard TEE (Trans Esophogeal Echocardiogram), but the less invasive TTE (Trans Thoracic Echocardiogram). We're looking into another PFO check which should be cheaper and less invasive called the TCD or TCE (Trans Cranial Doppler or Echo). TCD/TCE is showing promise to be as valid as the TEE and would tell you if you have any shunting of venous blood which include cardio or pulmonary.
[limeyx] I had the TCD done on Seattle. Total cost was $300.
It was very non-invasive (about 15 mins total.)
Supposed to be 95% as accurate as a TEE (the expensive one) and apparently most of the inaccuracies are down to improper test execution rather than the test itself being inherently inaccurate. They do a "calibration" run to see how fast it takes bubbles to get to your heart, then make you do valsava's, breathe in/out under a bit of stress etc. and monitor the bubbles. They do inject you, but that's the only "icky" part. For me, they said no bubbles passed, but then I forgot to ask them if the darned thing was actually on

If its true that one in five have some degree of an opening, and the TCD is 300 dollars, I would think most techies should get it done, if you want to D-I-R.

I feel like I would have been bent by now if I had it, plus I've had the non-definitive echo for regurg and they can see a major one on that without the bubbles, I THINK. Anyway, thats my excuse.

How prevelant is the trans thoracic, Kev? I'd want to have a interventional radiologist or cardiologist inject the bubbles, not a tech, if it were me.

Well, first results in. I had my appointment with audiology today and they did pressure tests, hearing tests, looked in my ears, etc. There is no problem that they can see externally and my all my ear reflexes and hearing is perfect, so no damage there.

Kev,

I have to check. Cardiology is reviewing my consult and case and I have to call them on Thursday to set my appointment up. Considering my DMO works for a Seal team I hope/think he is getting me the corrects tests. I will check though to see which one they are doing.

Once I get cleared by them I am done with my tests and only have to be cleared by the DMO. He will also be looking at my MRI results this week and giving me to word on that.

Back
Top Bottom