Locking problem with sp-350/ olympus housing HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bbarnes

Contributor
Reaction score
I know intermittent problems are the hardest to "fix" but was hoping that if someone has had the same issue with their camera system, they could offer some advice. We currently have 2 SP-350 cameras each with a PT 030 Olympus housing. On our recent trip to Coz, I dove with one camera while my husband dove with the other. Because he had had some "locking up" issues on a previous trip, we decided to label each camera and housing so that we would know which unit/units we were having difficulty with. During the first dive, I had no issues but on the second dive the camera would lock up. You could not zoom or take a picture but the lcd screen continued to function. If you turned the camera off and then on again you could take ONE more picture. (Kind of takes away from the joys of going digital!!) There were also times that I could lift the controller on the mode dial, which sometimes seeme to unlock it for one picture.
The next day we switched the cameras into the opposite housings. The problem is apparently connected to one of the housings instead of the cameras, as the lock ups happened with both cameras while in that one particular housing.
Other observations include that the cameras (even while inside the problem housing) have ALWAYS operated normally while at the surface. We did NOT change memory cards so that doesn't look like it is the issue. Depth does not seem to be a factor as we have had issues at 100ft and as shallow as 10-15ft.
If anyone has any similar issues, can you shed some light on this for me? Does Olympus offer any service on housings? We have missed getting pictures of a hammerhead, lots of turtles, nurse sharks, a group of eagle rays etc due to this lock up issue.
Thanks for any advice!!!!

I seem to recall a few times when using the zoom at depth that the camera got stuck in the zoom process, and of course nothing else works in this condition. I attributed it to an imperfect fitting of the housing control to the zoom lever. Look for any icons on the lcd that might indicate a process running.

YUP. Good observation Reefhound.

I've had the same "lockup" if the zoom control is stuck or depressed one way or the other.

Be sure no controls are being "operated", because it'll freeze up the camera.

Yeap that's it. If a button is depressed on the camera, or the zoom feature engaged then every other function is frozen until that button is released.

I was having some locking issues at depth last year with my SP/PT combo. The shutter release button wasn't returning, causing the camera to lock. I lubed the button a couple of times, and soaked the housing in fresh water a lot. That improved it some. When I sent the housing in to have my HW bulkhead installed, they serviced it. Three o-rings were replaced as well as the shutter button return spring. Haven't had any problems since. Make sure you're getting the camera in completely straight. It's possible to cock it slightly and have the shutter button/zoom lever not line up quite right. Make sure you pull back the button while you settle the camera in so it doesn't put side thrust on the release/zoom mechanism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom