Lodge Kura Hulanda Curacao has closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very harsh to doubt that Go West will continue in the outstanding way they have in the past. Their situation is vastly different than Sunset Divers. That Dive op was directly connected to Sunset Waters Resort. I would venture to guess that more than 75% of their divers stayed next door at the hotel. Other than the hotel and dive shop, there are only houses in the area. Many are now being rented and the area enjoyed once more.
Go West is in another league. Yes, Dive groups stayed at the Lodge but they also stayed at Marazul, Rancho Sobrino, West Hill, All West, here at Sunshine Getaway, at Nos Kruseros and other small apartments in Westpunt. Having the best boats in the West and easy access to Watamula also makes Go West an on island destination for divers staying in Willemstad. I'd venture to say only 25% of their divers stayed at the Lodge.
Go West and all of the businesses in town have other things in their favor. Divers return year after year, sometimes multiple times a year. We know the guests and they know all of us. We work together as a community. What affects one, affects us all. Westpunt is not a town with bickering, backstabbing competitors but rather a town of friends both permanent and visiting.
Biased I am, but the diving is pretty spectacular here. Unless you need to have an expensive breakfast served to you and want someone to make your bed, I hope some reading this will go outside of the norm, stay at an apartment, make your own breakfast and put the savings toward your return to Curacao fund. I also think the resort property is the nicest on the island and hold out optimistically for a reopening soon.
If anyone has any questions on Go West, Westpunt, Lagun, lodging, heck just the island, feel free to email me at curacaosunshine@gmail.com
I'd also like to thank everyone for their kind emails and look forward to seeing you soon!

I am sad to hear about the Kura Hulanda. I never stayed there, but I am sure others are disappointed and there will be some hardships for the former employees. It is a beautiful property and hopefully someone will buy it. If it does not reopen I do worry a bit about what will happen to the property, having seen what Sunset Waters is like now.... But people will still drive over to Westpunt for a day of diving and others will stay in the apartments and condos that are in the area and life will go on.

I have no doubt Westpunt and Go West will be fine when I am there in a few months.

We are planning a trip there again in March and even now, AllWest is almost completely booked for March. There is only a Studio open for most of the month and a Jr Apt open only the last week. Virtually everyone staying there dives. Nos Kruseros, right across the gate from Kura Hulanda is also most all divers. I think GoWest Diving will be just fine. We have been there in March for the previous two years and they are a great dive company. Bryan will make sure you have good diving.
Ed

Are the number of divers travelling in the caribbean decreasing to the point where 1st class destinations will not be able to support themselves?

i don't think so at all, but some establishments need to become more competitive
my local dive shop had a trip there for 7 days, diving was included but no food
i booked my own trip with Atlantis for 10 days and even with the car rental it was $500 cheaper

we never stayed in westpunt but dove several times with Go West. We stayed in Willemstadt and made the drive which actually doesn't really take that long. We use hotel points to stay at the Marriot is why we never stayed west.

Granted I've only been there twice, but it seemed like most of the people on the Go West boat in the morning (or afternoon) were not staying at the lodge, they were staying down at All West or somewhere else. Next time we go, even if we don;t stay in Westpunt, we will definitely drive up for some Westpunt diving and eating.

Bummer! My wife and I visited in 2008, and stayed at All West Apts. (which were a great value!). On our last night, we checked in at Kura Hulanda, where we stayed in the Tree House -- and I proposed! So Kura Hulanda has a special meaning for us... sad to hear of its closing.

Here is our memory of Kura Hulanda:
Diamonds and Tree Houses - Stricklandia

It really is quite a shame. I am a vacation club member at the Kura Hulanda Lodge and loved going there every winter for diving and relaxation. We would boat dive with Bryan at OEWest and now Go Diving, shore dive at Playa Kalki, and other places like Porto Mari, Cas Abao, etc., eat at Sunshines, enjoy out breakfasts in our garden villa suite with the birds, etc. I am waiting to see what happens with the Lodge and my membership. Hopefully a reputable owner can be found to reopen it and it won't suffer the fate of Sunset Waters. It is such a beautiful property. Jacob Gelt Dekker, the builder of the two HH properties, indicated in a comment on Facebook that KH would reopen in December 2013. Hope he is right.

A selfish question is the snack shop still open which is opposite the stairs of the dive shop? Is it part of the hotel and closed?

Back
Top Bottom