Log book dinosaur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did, and then I didn't, and then I found out that for my continuing education some people were very strict on having a visible log that they could verify, so I started logging again. Now I'll do it to a point where I feel like I have satisfied the requirements for anything I'd like to do in the future, and then quit again.

I log on paper, with an electronic file from my dive computer. I consider the e-file as back-up because, like many other posters have noted, when I buy a new dive computer my old logs will essentially be obsolete but the paper files will live on. My guess is that among this forum's membership you will find a lot of log fanatics because we are addicted to diving.

...... The technology for current computer logs will be obsolete in a matter of time. .....
Already happening.

I don't think one can equate enjoyment of diving with logging dives. I dive every week, year round and find it to be as natural as going for a walk. I enjoy the experience but don't feel some obsessive need to note the depth, time, tank pressure etc... I do record what I see via video because that's what's important to me and what I want to remember/share with others. When I was younger I kept a journal of the animals I saw in the mountains (pre video days) but I didn't record every hike I did on paper.

I have no clue as to how many dives I've done and couldn't care less. I guesstimate based on the number of weeks in a year X 2 or 3. It's not a contest.

.... Do you log each time you ..... bicycle .....
I do.
I use an App that keeps a running total. So far I put ~3800 Km on my mountain bike- and burned 127000 Calories (in 8 months).
Now the bike is out of service .... waiting for new chainrings :cool2:

I get why some people may want to log dives but I really don't get why people think they need to log dives, as if there were something unique about recreational diving. Do you log each time you ski, kayak, bicycle or drive a car and get someone to sign off on it? . . .

I agree with your view on "need" versus "want."

I log my hikes, so I know which trail I did on what date, how I liked it, hints for finding the trailhead, etc. Same use to me as logging my dives. But it's definitely something I "want" to do--as in it's "useful" to me. When I was training for marathons, I logged my runs so I could keep track of my progress. I also log the work-related trips I take in my car for tax purposes. If there's an activity I do for which it would be useful to me to keep a log, and I think the utility of doing so outweighs the burden, then I would keep a log.

I logged on paper the first 50 dives or so until I ran out of the original forms the binder came with.

But all along I was using a Oceanic dive computer with their Oceanlog software and kept details on all aspects of the dive such as location, dive conditions and equipment used. A simple quarry brings up a wealth of information in seconds.

This part is very important. I also download my data into Subsurface and Divelog.de being that Oceanlog encrypted their data files some time ago. I want to keep my data free for my use. Subsurface is independent and tries to recognize all the dive computers currently used. So when I use trimix I can upload from my Petrel and have one unified file in a common file format.

So I download my data twice. Once into Oceanlog and once into Subsurface which syncs with Divelog.de. Done in less than five minutes.

When I go on vacation I usually call ahead and email last few dives if necessary. But just in case I do print out my last four dives.

So I do log because it's convenient and useful for future dives and training, but not on paper.

Cheapskate. All paper. Always fill it out on the boat on the way in, so I can ask others what that fish was, what they estimate the vis or temp was, name of Captain or mate, size and type of tank and how much weight was good, before I return the tank, or take the weight belt apart to rinse later.

Handwriting is total crap ("bang bang" in the chop and the inlet), but I can read it. Real signatures and often emails or business cards too, meaning possible future friends. Much of this I couldn't get or remember if I did an electronic log ashore later. Plus there's usually time on the boat to do it, may not be later on.

"It takes a village to write your log book". Ha ha, but it sort of does for me anyway.

I've logged paper since I started in 2005. Then I Xerox each page and put it in the "firebox". Have read too many posts about lost log books. I use a dive computer on rare occasions (deep boat dives, etc.) but don't know how to hook it up to the computer to keep or print the info. Have no desire to do that anyway.

I don't bother except for downloading the controller logs for my rebreather dives. If I did, it would be electronic, not paper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom