Log Book Signatures?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I log every dive and have SI, DM or buddy sign it.

Some dive centers ( far and few between them !! ) will ask you for your book to verify if you dove with 1 year ... otherwise, get a refresher !!!

And if you are planning getting higher certification, Master Scuba Diver requests 50 dives ( if my memory serves me right ) and DM, 100 dives. Need proof of those dives !!!

DM requires 60 for completion. Master Scuba Diver is 50 but when you get rescue and your specialties (PADI) you'll get a from to send in with 40 bucks to get your master cert. If you've done rescue and 5 specialties chances are you've got 50 dives in. If not then you need to get busy. Also if you take DM or IDC with anyone you'll need to have those signed logged dives. That is if they are adhering to standards. And yeah some ops will require proof before they'll let youy do certain dives. Can you fake them? sure but it will get found out eventually when they recover your corpse. As others have said getting the sigs is cool as it helps to put names to faces when you dive on a trip or with someone new. My solo dives I don't worry about sigs since it would be mine anyway. And I have gotten sigs with a minimum of info down(place, date, time, etc) when conditions are crappy or everyone is just tired and wants to go. I just fill in the details later.

My goal is Master Scuba Diver (Divemaster seems a bit much for where I want to go with diving) so I figure I would keep gettigng the signatures until I as least got through AOW, Rescue and my required amount of specialties...However, since I'm NOT AOW yet, but have been doing some diving over 60 feet, I wanted someone to attest in case an operator wanted proof that I HAD done some deeper dives...

I'll probably still get sigs...I like how it looks in the book

Congrats on the certification. I got signatures up until I completed my Divemaster and now I have my buddy sign my log if it is something I want to remember later. I always record the dive operator but some captains or DMs are better than others so I will have the best ones sign my log so I know who to request later. Some divers only log memorable dives after you reach a large number anyway so it is going to be up to you. Have a great time diving!

Buoyant1:
I'll probably still get sigs...I like how it looks in the book

I'm with you on that one, I also include photo's once I get home in my Log Book. I'm paying good money to dive and want to remember as much as possible. Also getting a signature makes me remember my Dive Buddy, DM, Instructor....etc

CatalinaCanuck:
I'm with you on that one, I also include photo's once I get home in my Log Book. I'm paying good money to dive and want to remember as much as possible. Also getting a signature makes me remember my Dive Buddy, DM, Instructor....etc

I have the option to keep photos on my online dive log (that came with my computer) so I've been doing that... One cool thing is getting stamps from some of the operators..One of the guys I dive with staples in his "tickets" from when he dives at Dutch Springs..

In my opinion my log book serves 5 major purposes:

1. It serves as a record of recent dive activity that can be used to help treatment of a diver who sustains a dcs hit

2. provides a record of training and experience. It is easy to see if a certain diver would likely feel comfortable in certain diving/training situations based on the number and type of dives they have done in the past

3. It serves as a permanent record off all of the memorable dives that you have conducted. This will include direction to the dive site, underwater topography, interesting things you saw, weather conditions etc.

4. allows you quick reference of who you have been diving with. I do not se the need of a signature on every dive....however I see nothing wrong with writing your buddies name and phone number or email address if you enjoyed there company

5. I also use my dive log book to record all new gear purchases and servicing as well as any changes in gear configuration that happen along the way

For 99% of all divers (my number, not a researched statistic) a dive log is a keepsake and record of what worked, didn't work and what you enjoyed about your dives.

At the end of every dive day I record the important details of the day. I may only suck the numbers out of my dive computer every dozen dives or so in the busy season. I don't have any professional aspirations so I don't bother with signatures. I do keep a contact list in my logbook should there someday be a need to confirm an entry.

Since I do it all in Excel there is nothing to sign until it's all done and pages are printed.

Make it a tool that works for you.

Pete

scubawally:
In my opinion my log book serves 5 major purposes:
5. I also use my dive log book to record all new gear purchases and servicing as well as any changes in gear configuration that happen along the way

I totally agree with scubawally's logging reasons - and, for me, especially the last one, notes on gear config. What you saw on a given dive is nice, but for someone like me who has the worst memory on record, I am religious when it comes to recording changes to things like gear config, undergarment selection (for dry suit diving), wetsuit type and thickness, water temp, weight used and overall impressions as to how that config worked out.

To be specific, I record these things when there is a change in config. I put them in both the log for the dive as well as in a cross-ref chart I keep in my log book. Then again, I'm a total dork.

john

I've always gotten buddy signatures in my log, that was a habit from when I learned to dive that I never gave up. Sometimes I haven't filled out the information and have the buddy sign a blank or partly blank line (my log holds 9 dives per sheet). I was nosing through my husband's logbook and found Karl Huggins signature, I thought that was pretty cool! Maybe one day I'll be able to point to my logbook and say, "I dove with that person!"

Is it required? No, your logbook is basically your record of the dives you've done. Mine looks more like a scrapbook than a logbook because I not only have the dives logged and signed but I include stickers and postcards in the 3-ring binder as well.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom