Logging a Computer Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just log my pressure in, pressure out, max depth and dive time. The pressure groups I kinda ignore because, as people above has said already, theire not really practical to calculate.
The dive tables are based on square profiles and its VERY rare that youll dive an actual square profile.
If you dive to a max depth of 30 meters and stay there for 7 minutes before ascending to 15m and staying there for the rest of your dive, youve already blown the RDP if you log by max depth and divetime although youre actually well within the limits..

The only purpose that knowing your pressure group might serve would be to enable you to switch to tables if your computer failed. In order to do this properly you will have to have a set of tables that were calculated from the same model that your computer runs and you would have to record all of the scrolling no-D limits, from shallowest to deepest, that your computer displays after you surface.

I agree, if you dive with computer the dive table calculations aren't too useful. The guys above wrote everything you need to know, I'm just here to say I log only maximum depth and bottom time too. (When I'm on a liveaboard trip, it would be funny to see my pressure group after the 4th dive on a single day...) However average depth is very useful because you can calculate your air consumption, I always suggest beginners to do this regularly.

I should have mentioned, the part about average depths and air consumptions I let my PC dive log software handle and I do add the SAC to the dive log, just to keep track with different gear configurations and to be able to make educated gas plans.

Thanks to all, I was getting more hung up about filling out my log book than I needed to be.

Back
Top Bottom