Long hose techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Here are a couple of other tips. Before donning I like to do just a bit of stretching if I can. It relaxes me and sort of loosens things up. Don’t put your wrist mount gauges on before you slip into the harness. If you do they will catch on the straps and you will struggle. Keep them in your pockets or dive bag until you are in the harness. The move to slip into the BP is a bit different than a jacket style. I find that is I slide my body down a bit and then come up into the rig it goes much faster (smoothly) than if I just sit and put one arm thru and then the next. As others have said… keep the long house clipped off until you are ready to rig it for diving and then do a modified S-Drill just to be sure the hose is not caught on any thing.

Oh one more thing… practice at home before going out. Remember if you are struggling something is wrong. Just go slow and careful. The last thing you want to do before getting into the water is to be rushed.

Robert,

Although you haven't taken the class, have someone show you how to do modified S-drill after you have put on all of your equipment. Basically, it's an on-land/boat dry air sharing move that ensures that your long hose is not trapped by either the harness or light cord, and that you can access your necklace reg. It takes just a few seconds, but can eliminate a serious problem should you need it later.

edit: I started this and came back to it while Tollie was writing!!

StSomewhere:
Ahh, to be so lucky. I wonder sometimes if you guys who live in dving meccas really appreciate just how good you have it. (sigh)
I have never met or seen another diver in Spokane where I live with a BP/W. I drive 5 hours to dive with my teachers (the diving's not bad either :wink: ).

One thing that I do is to clip the bungee on my alternate into the snap on my long hose, which is clipped of to the left chest d-ring, that way it is readily available after I get into the harness.

I had a rather "embarassing" S-drill with a brand new buddy a while back. I donated, freed the long hose from my waistbelt, but then realized that I had the long hose routed wrapped around the short hose, making it hard to get to the alternate. I finally managed to get it in my mouth, took a good breath, then slipped the bungee off of my neck & rerouted the short hose. That was worth a good laugh on myself. Since then I always check the routing of the long hose before I get into the harness.

Good idea on the modified dry S-drill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom