Looking at a package from LeisurePro... help please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a repeated subject about LP. No matter what concerns there are, I give a lot of credit to LP because LP has contributed the growth of internet sale and cost down in the market. If you read the previous old thread about LP, you will be surprised how some members (used to be LDS or shop monkeys) reacted. So far, I didn't hear anyone who died because they bought the equipment from LP. Please let me know if you hear any....

There are many shops (LDS and internet store) that are matching, even beating the LP price, such as Scubatoys, Scuba.com, Divetank with a full manufacture warranty.

The whole warranty issue is the main sticking point with LP. If it wasnt for that everyone would be buying from them! Some places do match, and some LDS's will try to match. I have bought a few things from LP, and never had a problem with a return, or a purchase. Not all their items are grey market. Some of the big ticket items do come with a mfg warranty. You have to do your research before purchasing. One of my colleagues at work has been using them for the last 5 years for all his yearly service and gear maintenance, and he has never had a problem.

I definitely recommend shopping around. I would check to see if the package you selected comes with any mfg's warranties. If it does, and thats the gear you want then there is no reason you shouldnt it buy from there (unless you find it cheaper elsewhere).

LyneMarie:
Hi there. I am looking at buying a package from LeisurePro - the price looks good, but I had a few questions:
1) Is this equipment a decent basic one for a recreational diver in warm waters?
2) How is the quality of the service and dealings with LeisurePro? I would buy from the Internet and being far, I do not want to be stuck...
3) Has anyone ordered from the US to be shipped to Canada? How much would he duty be? Anu hassles?

The package is for 425$ US, plus $50 for shipping (I believe) and here is what it includes:

Blue Reef Regulator Bag, Black
Cressi-Sub Mini 2 Gauge Console
Mares Rebel Octopus
Mares MR12 Rebel Regulator
Mares Vector Origin BCD

Thank you all for your input!
Lyne Marie

I would be more concerned about the selection of equipment than the store/site that is providing the equipment. IF you look at the threads on this site you will hear both good and bad opinions re leisure pro and others. How much are you diving? If it is once a year, you may be better off with rental from a GOOD shop. If you are looking at getting into diving more frequently, particularly northern (cold water) diving, I would suggest a better dive gear selection. What you are looking at is the lower end stuff. If you buy and are diving infrequently, then you must consider the annual servicing costs( $50-70 year). You may be better off renting GOOD gear from a GOOD shop. However, if diving is in your blood and you are looking at increasing the amount of diving you do (2-4 trips or more a year), then it becomes a better value to get your own gear - but do so with a bit more consideration and plan to spend a little more. Consider looking at Scubadiving.com 's gearfinder link for their Tester's Choice or better yet look at gear reviews on this website from people doing the diving. You do not always need the top dollar gear (there are good regs and BCs that are less expensive than others), but I would at least include a dive computer -at least a basic one. So many times I see folks buying the entry level gear only to try to sell it a year or two later for what they really want. Buy once, not twice if you can (though most of us will confess to some degree of upgrading as we advance in our diving - just trying to save you this step).

LyneMarie:
1) Is this equipment a decent basic one for a recreational diver in warm waters?
How about a little more careful reading by all the people who are talking about cold water diving?
Beside the fact that Mares is an excellent choice for someone who intends to travel (just like Scubapro and Aqualung), they make fairly high quality gear in general.

Phew I'm glad I saw this post, I was thinking about getting my stuff from them, but I think not now! Can anyone recommend a good place either in Fort Lauderdale or in the Keys? I'm going to Madagascar and I want to get all my stuff in the US as it will be cheaper than Europe - I'm looking for the following:

Scuba Pro MK16 or MK25 Reg
Seaquest Diva BCD
5mm Wetsuit - maybe a 2 piece
Fins
Booties
Some other bits and bobs.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsey

aquaoren:
How about a little more careful reading by all the people who are talking about cold water diving?
Beside the fact that Mares is an excellent choice for someone who intends to travel (just like Scubapro and Aqualung), they make fairly high quality gear in general.

The OP lives in Canada. She might change her mind. I bought the original Axis when it first came out from Leisurepro. I didn't like it and I'm a warm water diver. Every once in a while it would just free flow a bit. It also felt like it was pushing too much air into my lungs. Sent it back for repairs and I even had my LDS look at it. No one ever figured out why and now it is a paperweight. I don't trust it enough to sell it to someone on ebay.

I don't think buying the cheapest product is the way to go and I don't like a "package" because you are not buying the items on their merits.

It's all good gear but you may want to purchase a different BC depending on what you dive. If you dive in just warm water and don't do anything remotely technical than the vector would work. But you may want something different if you are going to be diving in colder water or want to get into tec. Try a zeagle or mabye a BP/W...It's all up to you. Definatly research alot before you buy!

Rico867:
I would never buy anything from Leisure Pro, they know nothing about diving at all. My proof is I actually went there to Manhattan thinking I was going to purchase a dry-suit, turns out not one person on staff has even been scuba diving. Leisure pro is run by Hasidic Jewish people who don't dive at all and trust me I have nothing against Jewish people at all my girlfriend is Jewish. They are in business just and only to make money. The warranty they provide is only through Leisure Pro not the manufacturers. The equipment your looking for is sold at Divers Supply why don't you do a price comparison and see if there is a huge difference, I guarantee the stuff you purchase from Divers Supply will have a warranty. You can call them in Tampa at 813-969-3480 and just to let you know, I have no affiliation with them at all.

I'm not sure how religious affiliation is remotely relevant to this topic or anything on this board. I am extremely surprised and somewhat offended that this post has not been edited already.

Regarding the posters original question, you are much better off buying from a brick and mortar store where you can try things on and check out equipment. Anyone you buy a full package from will give you some sort of package deal.

I have dove with the Vector Origin BC and liked it well enough, and I've even used it with a drysuit with no problems. It's not my BC of choice which is a DSS BP/W setup but it is a fine BC.

The other stuff I can't honestly comment on having had no first hand experience nor any buddies who've dove that gear before.

I would second the thought to buy good gear once and be done with it, saving money is fine but if diving is in your blood you'll be buying nicer gear anyhow and might as well do it right and save some dollars in the long run.

LadyP:
Phew I'm glad I saw this post, I was thinking about getting my stuff from them, but I think not now! Can anyone recommend a good place either in Fort Lauderdale or in the Keys? I'm going to Madagascar and I want to get all my stuff in the US as it will be cheaper than Europe - I'm looking for the following:

Scuba Pro MK16 or MK25 Reg
Seaquest Diva BCD
5mm Wetsuit - maybe a 2 piece
Fins
Booties
Some other bits and bobs.

Thanks in advance!

Lindsey

Hello Lindsey!

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and use quite a few sources for my purchases, Including LP.
I have always gotten great service from them and super fast shipping. I've bought lights, gloves, knives, and other gadgets from them. I bought my life support equipment from my LDS and my computer as well, even though I could have gotten a better price from LP.

My favorite store to shop around town is Divers Direct, but that's just because is next to BassPro shop! :D When I have real questions I come here or go to my LDS.

I guess my advice to you would be to shop around for the best price/service for the particular piece of gear. BCD/Reg go to your local shop they can usually come close to the internet prices usually all you have to do is ask.
I took a printout of all my gear from LP to my LDS and the difference from them was $140 so they threw in a dive trip $50 more. $90 for a warranty and all the help I need is a good deal to me.

Hope this helps... if you want specifics about stores let me know.
Wys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom