Looking for a DIR Bottom Timer or Compliant Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto Vypers also have gauge mode and a DSS bungee mount available. They don't display bottom time in seconds if that matter to you (either way).

What's not DIR-compliant about your current computer? It shows you depth and time, doesn't it? For your initial classes, that's fine, as long as it's a wrist unit. Many of us dove computers that showed decompression information when we took our initial classes, and even afterwards, until we were confident of our ability to track average depth and manage our own decompression.

If you don't LIKE your current computer, I'd recommend either a Vytec or an Aladin Tec2g. Somebody here just got the latter computer, new, for $277. That's a really good buy.

What's not DIR-compliant about your current computer? It shows you depth and time, doesn't it? For your initial classes, that's fine, as long as it's a wrist unit. Many of us dove computers that showed decompression information when we took our initial classes, and even afterwards, until we were confident of our ability to track average depth and manage our own decompression.

If you don't LIKE your current computer, I'd recommend either a Vytec or an Aladin Tec2g. Somebody here just got the latter computer, new, for $277. That's a really good buy.

Thanks for the sound advice. The Tec2g seams like a great option. My biggest concern was showing up with a computer and being told to find something else for the class. It looks like the chances of my finding a simple bottom timer for less than a full computer are pretty slim anyway. As for what I don't like about my Aeris the biggest issue is no way to set it to gauge mode permanently. Mounting the XR2 on my arm is also a pain but not as annoying as having the computer just up and decide to switch modes without my permission. The Aeris makes a solid backup though. If I don't find anything that fits my budget in time for class then I will just dive what I have.

Edit: I see both Suuntos have been covered above.

As a point of reference for compliance, Bob Sherwood uses a Tec 2G, so it should be ok :D

Suunto Vyper and Vytec has decent gauge modes as well. The Vytec had stopwatch timer function, the Vyper does not.

The Vytec however does not have the average depth function the Tec 2G does.

I went with a used Vytec DS for the larger display ... my eyes need it :)

Henrik

+1for the tec 2G. I've used it, the Nitek DUo and the Nitek Trio and found I liked the Tec 2G the best. So glad the shop I manage just became a Scuba Pro dealer so I can now go back to using the 2G

Yes, I liked the display on the Vytec much better than the Aladin, and found the user interface easier to remember, too . . . but the Aladin had the stopwatch and the depth averaging. And the Aladin has the best dive logging software I've seen.

I gave up and got everything I wanted in one gauge. But I paid for it!

BTW, Kevin, don't worry that your instructor is going to go off on you for every tiny deviation from perfect "DIR-ness". It's not like that. Where your setup isn't ideal, they will point that out to you, and talk about why, and make suggestions for changes. My husband took Fundies with a Cobra computer instead of an SPG, and aside from the fact that it made Steve totally crazy trying to READ the thing, he didn't hassle Peter about it.

GUE instructors are actually pretty reasonable human beings, and their goal is to teach you and help you make your diving better. Especially at the intake level, they're not the diving Inquisition.

I need a recommendation DIR compliant computer or bottom timer. I am going to be taking the GUE Primer course soon and probably the fundamentals class next year. My current computer, Aeris XR2, is not compatible with DIR standards.

I was initially going to purchase a Uwatec bottom timer until I noticed the price, $350! That's the same price as a very nice computer. Then I started to look at computers. The trouble is it is difficult for me to tell which computers are DIR compatible and which are not. I would also like something that can be mounted with a bungee mount. I looked pretty hard at the Nitek Trio but I am just not sure if it is DIR or not. I don't want to spend my money on a piece of equipment that I will not be able to use in class.

A little help for a DIR noob?

You don't necessarily need a bottom timer for fundies. So, I assume you will not need it for primer either. In fundies, your experience dives will never go below 40 feet. Most of the time you probably will be in the 20 to 30 foot range for the skills dives.

You also don't need your computer to be in a bungee mount. It just has to be worn on your right wrist.

When I took fundies, I wore my computer with a watch type band mount and I never had it in gauge mode.

So, take your time and find a dive computer you really like at the price you are willing to pay.

When I took fundies, I wore my computer with a watch type band mount and I never had it in gauge mode.

So, take your time and find a dive computer you really like at the price you are willing to pay.

Agreed, I also took Fundies in my original computer with no gauge mode (which did not have a bungee mount). Time and Depth were the only requirement.

Later I swapped out to the Tech2G and love it. Both of my GUE instructors use it.

Kevin, don't worry that your instructor is going to go off on you…GUE instructors are actually pretty reasonable human beings, and their goal is to teach you and help you make your diving better. Especially at the intake level, they're not the diving Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Diving Inquisition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom