Looking for a DIR Bottom Timer or Compliant Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the 2g is just damn good. Not only does it have the BT, depth, and depth avg function, but it is easy to use, and importantly, has a second timing setting while in gauge mode, which comes in handy when keeping your ascents timed precisely and accurately.

I absolutely LOVE my 2g and have no plan to ever deviate from owning one (unless they stop making it).

With a bottom timer I am not too concerned about imperial vs metric. I am comfortable with estimating and visualizing distance in meters.

I think you'll find it easier to match units with your dive partners (for stops, planning, etc.). In the USA that's generally imperial.

I am sensing a lot of love for the Tech 2g.

Another +1 for the Tec2G. I've had mine for about 4 years now and have no issues with it than having to replace the gage guard a few times. I know many people who also dive with it.

IMHO, it's one of the best values out there. As someone else has pointed out, you can pick them up new for under $300 now days.

Besides the price, some other pros are - great gage mode, depth averaging and stop-watch functions. It also uses an IrDA interface for download which means the difference between spending $20(or less) for a generic USB IrDA adapter versus ~$100 for some proprietary download cable. The only real cons that I have found are - the display could be laid out better (in fact, some of the characters are on the smaller side), the user interface is a little on the kludgey side. IMHO these are minor shortcomings that are offset by the pluses.

One other point regarding the bungee mount...as some have already pointed out, it is not necessary. In fact, some believe that it is actually a good idea to have at least one wrist mounted device on an adjustable band in order to help mitigate a potential wrist seal leak. I wear mine in the OEM adjustable wrist mount. Just something to think about.

Good luck with your upcoming class.

BTW ... If you're taking your class in the SoCal area and interested in borrowing a Tec2g or Uwatec BT for a day or two, feel free to shoot me a PM.

I'm also in the Tec2G camp. Used an Aeris Elite T3 (with AI at that!!!) through my Fundies class, and only got a quick chat about the AI transmitter. Shortly afterwards I picked up my Aladin and haven't really missed the Aeris, or it's AI.

Peace,
Greg

I own and use the tec2g. It's alright. I'd prefer one of the sexy oled units, but they're out of my pricerange. The 2g can be hard to read, but I got mine for a steal and it does what I want it to (brand new 250, don't ask).

Anyway, as was said, don't assume your computer is a deal breaker. Just be aware that you may bend it, and don't freak out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom