Looking for a DIR Bottom Timer or Compliant Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own and use the tec2g. It's alright. I'd prefer one of the sexy oled units, but they're out of my pricerange. The 2g can be hard to read, but I got mine for a steal and it does what I want it to (brand new 250, don't ask).

Anyway, as was said, don't assume your computer is a deal breaker. Just be aware that you may bend it, and don't freak out.

I could not read the Tec2g underwater. Above water the Tec2g's graphics were no better than the first video game (Pong) by Atari IMO...

Last edited:
I own and use the tec2g. It's alright. I'd prefer one of the sexy oled units, but they're out of my pricerange. The 2g can be hard to read, but I got mine for a steal and it does what I want it to (brand new 250, don't ask).

Don't worry, one day OLEDs will be just as cheap as LCDs and everybody will be able to have them.

Peace,
Greg

It sounds like you've got things worked out but if not, just as an FYI, Bob let us dive with whatever we showed up with for the Primer. He really didn't spend much time scrutinizing our computers. So I wouldn't sweat it just for that class. For Fundies I'm probably going to get the Tec 2g also.

I use Suuntos (Vypers or Vytecs).

-Big, easy to read screens
-Downloadable
-Gauge mode
-Bungee wrist mounts available
-Resettable seconds timer (Vytec only)
-User-replaceable battery
-Cheap (especially used)
-Backlight
-RELIABLE (I've never had a failure in over 500 dives with any of the Suuntos)

Tec 2G also looks nice, but the screen is much smaller than the Vyper or Vytec

I am sensing a lot of love for the Tech 2g.

Personally, I hate it.

I find the buttons fiddly, and the Uwatec menu sequences confusing.

That's more of a user-issue than a comment on the 2G. I've never got my head around Uwatecs. Worst of the bunch has to be the SmartCOM, holy moley.... so many alarms that you can't work out how to switch off.

I use a Vytec (sometimes) or an OSTC (most of the time). The OSTC is not that easy to get hold of out of Europe - I had to get mine shipped to my folks who then shipped it on to me.

The nice thing about the OSTC is that it's a trimix computer - not all of my dives are DIR, so having the option to switch from a good gauge mode to a good computer is useful for me.

I use a Duo. Easy, can switch between imperial & metric. User replaceable batteries, bungee mount. Gauge mode ...

I thought I should stop in and let everyone know I managed to score a tec 2g console from Leisurepro for $299. Had a hell of a time getting the computer and instruments out of the boot but it was worth it.

So far the computer is working great, in the bathtub.

FYI - I'm sure if you went into a SP Dealer, for about another $40 you could have found a brand New Aladin 2g Complete w/ScubaPro Warranty!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom