Looking for a dive computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake1071

Reaction score
I'm looking for a dive computer, but I cant break the bank. I'm limited on what I can spend. I have a budget of around 500.00 dollars. What is the best dive computer i can buy with the limited budget i have? I also like the wrist mounts if that makes a difference.

jake

Can you let us know the type of diving that you do? Also, what features would you like your computer to do.

This can help us recommend some brands/models.

I would like it to be able to transfer into Nitrox, I dont dive nitrox at the moment, but might in the future. I mostly dive for lobsters off the coast of Mass. Rarley do I go deeper then 100 feet, but again that all might change. So what I'm looking for is a all purpose computer.

Jake, take a look at the Suunto Vyper

I have a Vyper as well as the Cobra. Both are great units. The Cobra is more expensive, but adds Air Integration to the Vyper, and therefore you may wish to consider it.

Otherwise the Vyper will set you back a little over $400, which should give you enough room to sqeeze in the download interface & software.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

I also use a ReAct and can recommend it highly. Though there are a few features that I would change for convenience (instant on and requiring to set your O2 level each dive) I can understand the logic behind making us take the extra steps (check battery level and O2 settings)before entering the water and discovering a problem).

The price is reasonable (way less than your $500 budget), you can change the battery, you can download to a PC, and most importantly it's easy to setup

if you like wristmount I recomend the Aladin pro nitrox.I have not heard one complaint from anybody that dives the pro. You can also get a consol mount for it so you can dive it both ways.

Another vote for the Aladin Nitrox. My wife and I both use them - wrist mount with integrated air. Though it is double your budget.

Tom

I just bought a Suunto Cobra. I think it's very interesting-and fun. However, with the money I paid(430 big ones at DiveInn.com) I could have gotten some stuff that would have been a better investment i.e. drysuit, airline tickets to Cozumel. I was greatly disappointed to read in the Cobra manual where it said to use a backup to monitor your pressure and depth-I mean I just laid down almost $500.00 and now you tell me to buy an analog $100.00 gauge!?? I have been told that the Cobra is quite reliable and that many divers do recreational diving without the backup and never have a problem. However, I plan on diving in ice(a no-no according to the instruction manaual) and in general I don't like relying on something so complicated. So why did I buy one of these computers???-FUN-it's fun to monitor your breathing with the air integration, and it looks cool, and you can monitor your N2 on multiple dives. But from a practicality stand point it just doesn't make sense.
I think it's different if you get a VERY advanced nitrox and 100% O2 monitoring computer-then it's an investment in deep technical diving-in addition you'll need a backup computer(the ugly backup rears its head again) and a bottom timer. In this case it's your life - not just for fun that you're monitoring your dive profile. This is a very spendy scenario-just ask any technical diver.

look at the oceanic xtr100 wrist mounted does nitrox also, downloadable. and large numbers that are very easy to see at depth. the cobra and viper are great computers also.i don't like air intergrated for the fact if something happens to it, you lose everything. I ice dive every year and both brands perform well under the ice. One thing about any hoseless air intergrated computers, i have heard that during wreck penitrations is that it messes up the signal from the transmitters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom