Looking for a dive computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The disclaimer that Buff is talking about (backup gauges) is something that computer manufacturers have to place in their manuals for liability reasons. I have logged some 300 hours on computers without failure. They are very reliable. The manufacturers that I have dealt with recommend aborting the dive should the computer fail. Due to the fact that recreational diving is no-stop diving, one can simply make an ascent to the surface. However, the more technical realms require deco-stops, meaning your life depends on the calculations of an algorithm in that computer. Therefore, back up computers and gauges is a life or death decision.

I would highly recommend a Suuto or Uwatec computer. If nothing else, nitrox compatability and user replaceable batteries are a minimum.

Cheers!

Jake,

I'll second the vote for the Suunto Vyper. I have only used it for 6 dives so far but am very happy. It tunrs on automatically when you hit the water, has user changeable batteries, easy to read/uderstand display, PC downloadability, Nitrox and air modes. I use a wrist-mounted Vyper.

Retail prices here in the Boston area average $400-450 -- it seems almost all area shops sell suunto computers. If you are willing to go the online retailer route, you can get a Vyper for <$300 (shipping included) from simplyscuba.com (UK) or diveinn.com (Spain). You've no doubt seen the recent posts about warranty issues and ordering online, so I won't bore you with those details.

Good luck.

I bought my UWATEC Aladin Pro Nitrox for a little over $350 USD... Great computer.

Suunto Stinger hoseless computer is nothing short of awesome. I had a Cobra but i didnt like its bulk or its long hose. Now my SPG is on a 22 inch hose and clipped to my left hip D ring and the stinger is on my wrist,i feel much more "free" and less cluttered in the water.

Nothing fancy just a time tested proven computer and at $350.00 you can't beat that price (msrp) with a stick. Its what I have used and would still be using if I still used a computer. But it is non AI so you would have to get a SPG (I would recommend the UWATEC/ScubaPro Master Diver). Don't bother with the Aladin Ultra. It is the same computer but with a backlight and a replaceable plastic face shield and only $150.00 more.

Sam

What about the Aeris 750GT? That is the only computer that I 've used so far, in my limited diving experiences. At first, I was afraid it wouldn't be accuarate, since it a hoseless transmission wrist computer. Everytime I checked my gauges, it was right on the money. Anybody have any longterm experience with it?

Yes mermom, I have used hoseless air integrated computers at length and have found them to be reliable and easy to use/understand. There were problems with transmission strength at introduction, but bugs have been worked out over the years and have gained more trust from the community.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

I love my Cobra, and also agree that manufacturers tend to be over protective for liability reasons. Does leave a bad taste in your mouth though!

:p :p

I just got a Suunto Mosquito and love it. It is small, has the same features (i think) as the stinger, at a much smaller price than the stinger of about $400.00 at all the LDS's that i have seen it in, due to the fact it is plastic instead of metal.

i did get a lense protector for it because it is plastic.

Hope this helps.

Well, now i'm off to dive see you all later

Chad

I did the research for my first computer on this board, and there was ample information. What someone recommended to me was figure out exactly what features you want. For example, I'm a total space cadet, I absolutely needed an automatic on, console mount (or I'd be diving without a computer, or one that was turned off most of the time).

I ended with the Vyper, but that is what my Local Dive Shop sells (there is something to be said about purchasing a computer from your LDS).

Back
Top Bottom