Looking for a Fundies level diver who wants to go dive the Mexican cenote caverns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a great time Kathy! It was my first time there in May. Sam and I were together at Dos Ojos, she was right behind me on our tour and she does a pretty funny impression of me on those dives. Like a kid in a candy store, I don't think there was a single surface or crevice my light did not hit. We had to stay on the main line, but I swear there are Sirens in those caverns, it took a lot of self restraint to not tie off and go peek down a tunnel . . . is that even the proper lingo :idk:

Let us know how it goes, I can't wait to hear about it :bounce4:

Sam, did you ever post a report of your trip to the Cenotes earlier this summer? Pictures?

:shocked2:...um...can I blame it on too much diving since my cenote trip, yeah, remember I had the week long NC wreck trip, then the following weekend I went to Gilboa to meet some SBers and then....I'm ashamed to say I've been a lazy bum about the report & pics. :shakehead:

Have a great time Kathy! It was my first time there in May. Sam and I were together at Dos Ojos, she was right behind me on our tour and she does a pretty funny impression of me on those dives. Like a kid in a candy store, I don't think there was a single surface or crevice my light did not hit. We had to stay on the main line, but I swear there are Sirens in those caverns, it took a lot of self restraint to not tie off and go peek down a tunnel . . . is that even the proper lingo :idk:

Let us know how it goes, I can't wait to hear about it :bounce4:
Yep, it was Donna's first cenote dive and she was actually as she described...all over every inch of allowable space within the main line area....:rofl3:

Warning you again, the cenotes will STEAL your heart!!!! Enjoy, safe travels to and from.

First Cenote Experience

It’s as though we are submerged in some altered world where magic is real.
Gliding through dark passages, towards turquoise clear cenotes, light beams dance in the intoxicating halocline which seems to last forever.

In the clear water it feels like we are flying through the striated halocline, our lights are in saltwater, our head above where they mix, the light is refracting from the boundary in other-worldly way. Emerging from a dark cavern into a room with light beams cascading down through the clear water from above, the ceilings are dripping with stalactites -- Looking up through crystal vis, through the glass-like placid water surface we see a tree above water, rainbows emit from every leaf. As we glide back, little passages whisper --drawing my eyes down from the line -- for just a few lingering seconds.

It is hard to leave the water today. But there are still two more days of this top notch experience. It makes all that hard work in fundies & learning the drysuit/doubles well worth while!!!!

I can not imagine that anyone could provide a better introduction to this new world than Danny at Zero Gravity – He's been so gentle and careful with his briefs, adjustments, and guidance. Danny literally turned the cavern into a piece of living experiential art.

IMG_9131-1.jpg

Antia, Danny, Kathy

I must thank my very generous fundies instructor & the GUE instructors at ZG, for arranging this very extraordinary opportunity.

Yes you all did warn me :)!

Last edited:
Which cenote did you dive today?

Danny is truly an amazing guide. He simply knows every inch of the caverns, rock by rock, crystal by crystal, pot shard by pot shard. And his love of the places just glows from his face when you surface. He's a fantastic instructor as well -- meticulously thorough and detailed, demanding but not harsh. Although I like all three ZG guys, I think you hit the guide jackpot.

You know that you'll have to go back now and do a cave class? That's some very powerful Kool-Aid you've been sipping. I just got home from Mexico three weeks ago, and I can't wait to go back to receive more abuse and see more of the cenotes!

You know that you'll have to go back now and do a cave class? That's some very powerful Kool-Aid you've been sipping. I just got home from Mexico three weeks ago, and I can't wait to go back to receive more abuse and see more of the cenotes!

Go back? I'm not entirely sure I'm leaving any time soon :wink:!
I'm starting to understand your thinking! The cenotes are magical!

Which cenote did you dive today?

Eden
Taj Mahal
Dos Ojos
Pet Cemetary
(and more tomorrow :D!)

Danny is truly an amazing guide. He simply knows every inch of the caverns, rock by rock, crystal by crystal, pot shard by pot shard. And his love of the places just glows from his face when you surface. He's a fantastic instructor as well -- meticulously thorough and detailed, demanding but not harsh. Although I like all three ZG guys, I think you hit the guide jackpot.

Guide jackpot! I agree! Danny is amazing. But Fred was terrific too! Wandered through some of the most beautiful formations today at the pet cemetary!

IMG_9144crop-2-1.jpg

Just think, another whole day with Chris tomorrow! These guys are fantastic!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom