Looking for a GREAT canister light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here is an offer for a damn good price. OK, I have yet to list this light but I have a light for sale. It is a larger cannister DR 21 watt HID which is focused from flood to around 8-10 degrees. This light has served me well and I hate to sell it but money calls. It has a rechargeable metal nickel hydride batteries and has a burn time of around 6 hours. So you get the light, cannister, batteries, charger and a home made handle. You can have it for $275.00 plus S&H. For an additional $60.00 I'll add the video reflector. Pictures available upon demand. The cannister measures 3.5 X 9.25". So you get the light, cannister, batteries, charger and a home made handle. You can have it for $250.00 plus S&H. For an additional $50.00 I'll add the video reflector. So for $300.00 plus S&H you get it all. I have used it in very dark water (Cooper river) and in the caves. The video reflector works great for video. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3InAbqwwdw>
> > > > > >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3InAbqwwdw

Light Monkey

/thread

Monkey Dude.

How are you ascertaining what the price "should be" re the light?

Well, it's a sub 1000 lumen light with about 5 hours of burn time that costs $1500ish USD that has an ungodly enormous light head that can't be mounted on a helmet and is not particularly easy to use due to its size. Light-Dude LD-15 has brighter light, more burn time, and is 2/3's the price with a small light head. Sure you can't focus it, but how many people really focus their light on a regular basis? Light Monkeys little 12W has about the same light output, same burntime, and is $800. Based on the above, and the fact that the quality can't possibly be better than Light Monkey or UW-LD, and their comparable lights are between 1/2 and 2/3's the price, you are literally paying an extra $500 for a focus dial and the blue H. The focus mechanism is brilliant, don't get me wrong, and it works very well, but that alone can't warrant the price, and the light head doesn't need to be as large as it is on 21W HID's, especially with the amount of people starting to put them on helmets and what not. Make the can a bit bigger and stick that stuff in the can, not the head.

Obviously many people will do that, and that's fine, it's not an inferior light, it's just priced much higher than it's competitors. People value the brand, no one can fault them for that, but that's the justification on how much that light "should be".

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

OK, here is an offer for a damn good price. OK, I have yet to list this light but I have a light for sale. It is a larger cannister DR 21 watt HID which is focused from flood to around 8-10 degrees. This light has served me well and I hate to sell it but money calls. It has a rechargeable metal nickel hydride batteries and has a burn time of around 6 hours. So you get the light, cannister, batteries, charger and a home made handle. You can have it for $275.00 plus S&H. For an additional $60.00 I'll add the video reflector. Pictures available upon demand. The cannister measures 3.5 X 9.25". So you get the light, cannister, batteries, charger and a home made handle. You can have it for $250.00 plus S&H. For an additional $50.00 I'll add the video reflector. So for $300.00 plus S&H you get it all. I have used it in very dark water (Cooper river) and in the caves. The video reflector works great for video. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3InAbqwwdw>
> > > > > >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3InAbqwwdw

So you take one of those, send it to light dude, get an EO cord put on it, and for somewhere around $500 you have a light that can bounce between 21W HID if you need it for things like River Diving or really really nasty tanic stuff, or can put the LED on, get a few more hours of burn time and you can swap the light heads if you want. $800 isn't bad for that

I'd also vote for UWLD. I have the newest version of the LD15. It's all the little details that make it great. The piezo switch does take some getting use to and is not as pleasing as a big switch to turn on. I'm wait ing for someone to build a completely sealed light that charges inductively. That would be killer.

Well, it's a sub 1000 lumen light with about 5 hours of burn time that costs $1500ish USD that has an ungodly enormous light head that can't be mounted on a helmet and is not particularly easy to use due to its size. Light-Dude LD-15 has brighter light, more burn time, and is 2/3's the price with a small light head. Sure you can't focus it, but how many people really focus their light on a regular basis? Light Monkeys little 12W has about the same light output, same burntime, and is $800. Based on the above, and the fact that the quality can't possibly be better than Light Monkey or UW-LD, and their comparable lights are between 1/2 and 2/3's the price, you are literally paying an extra $500 for a focus dial and the blue H. The focus mechanism is brilliant, don't get me wrong, and it works very well, but that alone can't warrant the price, and the light head doesn't need to be as large as it is on 21W HID's, especially with the amount of people starting to put them on helmets and what not. Make the can a bit bigger and stick that stuff in the can, not the head.

Obviously many people will do that, and that's fine, it's not an inferior light, it's just priced much higher than it's competitors. People value the brand, no one can fault them for that, but that's the justification on how much that light "should be".

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

So you take one of those, send it to light dude, get an EO cord put on it, and for somewhere around $500 you have a light that can bounce between 21W HID if you need it for things like River Diving or really really nasty tanic stuff, or can put the LED on, get a few more hours of burn time and you can swap the light heads if you want. $800 isn't bad for that
Have you actually used the Halcyon focus next to one of the other lights you recommend and say are brighter?

I ask because I actually have dove with the lights you mention together with the focus and the Halcyon focus is much brighter than a LD15 with significantly tighter spot and also brighter than a 21w HID. the light head is also available without battery to use with any can size. It Is a sweet light and after seeing it in a cave I'm planning on picking one up.

Sent via

Another vote for a the UWLD .. Great light & Great service ... I have a LD-26 and in a word it is the best light I have been in the water with. I have several other lights and they are now in the bottom of my dive box.

I'd also vote for UWLD. I have the newest version of the LD15. It's all the little details that make it great. The piezo switch does take some getting use to and is not as pleasing as a big switch to turn on. I'm wait ing for someone to build a completely sealed light that charges inductively. That would be killer.

I spoke with Bobby (the Underwater Light Dude) a few weeks ago and asked if he had any new products coming out. He told me about some monster video light and then he mentioned that he was going to start making the can lightd sealed with an external charging capability. He went into telling me how it worked but I don't remeber the details. I do know the price of the light was going to be a little more.
If

Have you actually used the Halcyon focus next to one of the other lights you recommend and say are brighter?

I ask because I actually have dove with the lights you mention together with the focus and the Halcyon focus is much brighter than a LD15 with significantly tighter spot and also brighter than a 21w HID. the light head is also available without battery to use with any can size. It Is a sweet light and after seeing it in a cave I'm planning on picking one up.

Sent via

yes and I agree it is brighter than a 21w HID, not convinced on the LD15, it is different, but not brighter imho. The spot is tighter, but for me that isn't necessarily needed. The HIDs I've used have always had too tight of a spot and while it's nice for signalling, unless you're in the Nest or somewhere that big and dark, as soon as the vis goes to **** you're in touch contact anyway which is why a lot of guys are preferring the UWLD because while the center spot is pretty bright, it's not as much of a hot spot as the HID's

No one mentioning Hollis? Maybe I'll get laughed at - but here goes. I dive mostly wrecks in the NY/NJ area. Not in pitch black caves, but for the gloomy conditions we have in and around wrecks - I find this light great. I have their smaller, "15w" version. The can is very small, and so is the light head. Puts off a great swath of light compared to several others I've seen underwater. Oh, and I picked it up at a shop NEW for $499 last winter.

If you're not *yet* a hardcore caver! and not interested in spending $1500 on a light - this is a great option for your transition. Oh, I've never worn out the battery, either. On a full charge, I've been able to get 6.5 hours of light (cumulative over a week of diving) and it didn't even get dim!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom