Looking for a GREAT canister light.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but they also make nice cheap little $50 backup lights that put out a nice little laser focus spot that you can use for signalling.
Which requires you either have it run and deployed constantly, or you better hope you don't have an OOA emergency. Good luck deploying and signaling a separate light then performing your air share.

I spent last weekend cave diving in 20-30 viz waters of the Roubidoux Spring Cave system. I had with me the new Halcyon Focus light and the groups I was diving with had UWLD 15, 26, and a 35. I was able to avoid all the blinding backscatter by dialing in the focus. At the end of the day, everyone agreed the Focus was a game changer and a versatile light for many applications.

I personally ordered the light after having dove a prototype in a cave course. It was more than powerful enough to be seen by a 35W HID diver in the lead position. I was impressed enough by the light I bought two of them for everyday diving and video use as the beam pattern widens to more than enough. It's also nice to focus the beam to the diameter of the passage you're going through. As much as I like the build quality of UWLD, and the customer service of LM, the Focus has no rival. FWIW, demo the Focus and let it speak for itself.

To answer your original question about canister lights, may I introduce you to this absolute beast! I've never seen anything remotely comparible.

http://deep-ideas.co.uk/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35_36&products_id=371

For the type of diving I do, I use all helmet mounted lights. My main is a dive scurion, which could meet your requirements very well, with 800 lumens of flood and 800 lumens of very tight spot. It does mount to a goodman handle also, and the canister is very very small. The photo below was shot on a go pro with no additional lighting apart from the dive scurion on about half power flood and my two back ups turned on half power, which are intova something or others.

uqe2u4e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent last weekend cave diving in 20-30 viz waters of the Roubidoux Spring Cave system. I had with me the new Halcyon Focus light and the groups I was diving with had UWLD 15, 26, and a 35. I was able to avoid all the blinding backscatter by dialing in the focus. At the end of the day, everyone agreed the Focus was a game changer and a versatile light for many applications.

I personally ordered the light after having dove a prototype in a cave course. It was more than powerful enough to be seen by a 35W HID diver in the lead position. I was impressed enough by the light I bought two of them for everyday diving and video use as the beam pattern widens to more than enough. It's also nice to focus the beam to the diameter of the passage you're going through. As much as I like the build quality of UWLD, and the customer service of LM, the Focus has no rival. FWIW, demo the Focus and let it speak for itself.

Great to hear this! Can't wait for my Focus to arrive…

That HW looks awesome, but the specs are all wrong. Their burn time is an exact mathematical calculation, and is absolutely wrong because the batteries are not to be fully discharged. True burn time is 20-25% less than claimed. Also, LEDs have a strange habit of losing efficiency at high wattage numbers. 94W certainly qualifies. They claim a lumens rating far higher than extrapolation would lead to believe was possible. However, if those numbers are even CLOSE to accurate, I'd love to see one in the water.

As for signalling with the UWLD lights. I have the big'un, the 35-144. It has the least tight hotspot of Bobby's four primary heads (excluding the video head). It's so freakin bright, I've never had a problem signalling with it. There's no need to even be calm/cautious/different with it. A buddy was diving a 35-144, the 60-144 (video light), and two backups (all four on high) AND was focused on his GoPro. Shaking my light head up and down made the entire cave look like a strobe light......it got his attention. This works in silty and clear caves.

What bamafan was saying about seeing more of the cave is absolutely right. I had dove with a variety of other lights before purchasing mine because I couldn't part with that kind of money without trying everything else. I even tried a big blue 'H' (before the Focus came out). I ended up with the UWLD 35-144. As for focus, I had that on my previous can light and have NEVER missed it. You go from good, useful light to to diffuse. Bobby's video light is like 6000lm and perfectly even. If you want to film, get one of those. If you want to blind all other cave divers, get a pair. The LD15 has a tighter hotspot, and if I had my druthers (tons of money) I'd get one of those heads for OW dives in lower vis

Another UWLD fan here. I have pretty much all of his lights except the LD26. Quality is exceptional, as is the customer service. They are expensive but for the $ you can not find a better light and one that will last you a lifetime. Buy it right and buy it once!

With the UWLD I found I really like the beam pattern for the clear water cave diving in Florida and really dislike it for any time I'm in murky water with a lot of particulate. The lack of a focused hotspot and the amount of spill to the sides becomes problematic as I have to keep the light as far from me as I can and point it in directions other than those I want to look at to avoid loses visibility due to reflection off particulate. A more focused beam helps greatly for this. Also in murky waters the lack of that laser beam of a focused light can make it difficult to signal at times as it seems to get absorbed by the particulate. Again, I don't have these issues with any type or brand of a well focused and bright light. What I like about a focusable light is I prefer a slightly wider beam angle in clear water and a very tight beam angle in murk. From what I've personally seen the Focus offers that in a LED with a good amount of light output - it fits my needs.

Some lights shine (pun intended) better in certain environments and locales than others. One should choose a light based upon the type and conditions of diving one does, not on what gets regurgitated online.

Reviewing the light proposals here it seems obvious to me that nearly all lights and brands are quite interchangeable cause they all share two basic ideas managing the light - the clear plastic lenses or reflectors. Both not focusable and both with comparable light distribution in all lights using them. The reflector with nice hot spot and huge light spill - good for clear waters, bad for murky vis cause of its high backscatter. The plastic lenses typically have a more or less tight beam with diffuse limits and nearly no side spill. Both have their preferred diving condition and therefore a light buyer should ask himself what fits best instead asking others. So I second Jack Hammers option to do your own tests!
The Halcyon lux engine is at least that different as it features a light distribution special made for diving and is no off-the-shelf optics like in all other lights. And is has the big advantage of collecting the brighter front light of a LED instead of the side light like the two standard types which logically makes it brighter and more efficient. Moreover it creates a certain corona and wide dim side spill out of the remaining light. Perfect for bad vis. So as said, best is to do your own tests what fits your needs ;-)

I have use DIV10,andDIV11,DIV11use 1*18650,DIV10 use3*26650,they are both work well.take a lookhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUh1vMD_KJ8

I'm getting the impression that you might sell these lights...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom