Looking for a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that both Atomic masks each come in two different SIZES - Regular and Medium.

How do you determine your size? :confused:

So which one is larger/smaller? The regular or the medium? Kind of ambiguous size names.

How do you determine your size? :confused:

Try them both on...and see which fits better?

:shocked2:

The regular size seems to fit most folks, with the medium being good for people with smaller/narrower faces.

You can read a "mini-review" of the Atomic Frameless that I posted at the bottom of this page...

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

Wouldn't trade either of mine for anything!

Per the Atomic website, the sizes are "Standard" and "Medium" with the latter "designed for narrow faces."

My son's a cross country runner with practically zero body fat (unlike his Dad, ahem) and a very narrow face. He uses the Medium Atomic Frameless.

I was going crazy trying to research the best mask purchase. I did my class with the 12+ year old Sherwood mask/snorkel set I'd purchased for snorkeling. The mask was in great shape still, and I never had a problem with leaks. But the lenses are the older, smaller style.

I tried on all the options at my LDS, and really liked the feel/seal of the Atomic Ultra Clear Frameless. It's a medium fit, but I am not a small girl... so I'm not sure why it works for me. But, it's a nice solid fit. I haven't gotten it wet aside from the hot tub yet, but it'll get its trial in Cozumel soon enough!

I'm keeping the Sherwood as a backup.

It's so overwhelming, and I want to know which is the BEST, but there's no hard and fast rule for that, I'm learning. :crafty:

I've always been very pleased with Beaver Atomic (also available as Mini). It seems it fits a broad range of faces, as I often switch masks with students who complain about leaks etc. Generally, I think most faces fit most masks, and on owd courses, leaks are often caused by the excitement, placement or over tightening the mask strap.

Of course, if your grow hair on your upper lip, you're doomed. (Just realized we lack a mustache smiley! :shocked2: ) Also, some smiley faces make it difficult. Beauchat Mundial and X-Contact are also good allround masks, even for smiley faces. :)

Mermoose, i just had this conversation with my 23 yo daughter after diving in Cebu Philippines this week. She told me that "...the pink mask always fits better..." How can you challenge that argument as she wears a customn fitted pink wetsuit and wears pink fins and wears the Pearl BCD with Pick stitching. Go figuer.

As for me, i just changed to a USA made mask by a company called Riffe that employes a very soft silicon shirt that avoids all water leakage. They have several models as shown on their web site I think it is www.riffe.com. I use the Cocos model that i think i paid USA$70.

Good luck.

I had an Atomic ARC which I lost when I was tying mooring lines to a wreck.
It was the first mask I ever lost and even if it was a gift
I considered to replace it and realized how expensive it was (a great mask with the best lens I have ever tried by the way)
I got now a Cressi Matrix bought for $45. This mask is just fantastic and I can see the tip of my fins if I just look down. Considering the price gap with the atomic I can't see why I would spend so much money for that

It's so overwhelming, and I want to know which is the BEST, but there's no hard and fast rule for that, I'm learning. :crafty:

Exactly right. There's a lot of great gear out there and much depends on one's needs, preferences and, of course, budget.

My opinion may be somewhat biased, as I am a fan and consumer of Atomic Aquatics products. I use their regs, masks, and fins; all are excellent performers. Atomic manufacture great gear, but you will pay for that uncompromising quality. However, that does not necessarily mean their products will work best for everyone.

The Atomic SubFrame is the best mask I have ever used personally; I've had three. After years of hard abuse, the rubber skirt finally started to separate from the frame on one of them. I sent it back to Atomic, and they replaced it for free.

As others have previously stated, proper fit is key. Obviously, the most expensive mask in the world is not going to do you much good if it leaks and/or is uncomfortable to dive in. The conundrum is that sometimes equipment can feel great in the store, but become very disappointing in the water. If your LDS/retailer are offering a satisfaction guaranty, then I'd give it a try. Given that you almost always have to test these things out anyway, I think that's about as good a deal as you're going to get.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom