Looking for a Pony set up. Would this work? What would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Sherwood Brut as my regulator. Not because I like it, just because I had it when I added my pony. The Brut's not their top of the line reg but it's fine, even if it's black instead of yellow. I wouldn't buy it again because the first stage is designed to bleed continuously, which means I'm constantly loosing air in my pony. Crazy design, plus I constantly have other divers telling me "your pony has a leak." Sherwood says it's supposed to do that. :shakehead: My LDS doesn't charge me to top it off, plus I have a whip to top it off myself if I'm on a boat.

The Sherwood air bleed system insures that water does not get into the regular first stage, therefore the reg has to be pressurized whenever you are in the water. It bleeds 13to17 cc of air per min which equates to about .03 cuft of air per hour. If it bleeds much more air than this or no air, it needs service. I use my old '80's Magnum on my pony because it was the most reliable reg I ever met. I have the newer '09 version Blizzard as my main reg now.

I think it was a great design as there is no seawater inside the reg to cause corrosion or other problems. The air loss is minimal, and you always know it's working right because everyone tells you that your reg is leaking.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Whether it's your 5th dive or your 5000th dive, having a redundant air source is NEVER a bad idea. Anyone who can give me a logical excuse for a redundant air source being a bad idea should run for president in 2016 because no one will be able to beat you in a debate.

That being said, when diving OC I use a 19 cu. ft. pony in Zeagle pony straps. It mounts right next to my main tank and it's pretty invisible. Only minor trim issues, I think I shifted 1 or 2 lbs. of lead total. I mount it upside down and clip the reg on the opposite side from my octo. It's not all that hard to get out if I need to give it to a buddy and if I have a total loss of my main supply at 130' I can still surface with a safety stop.

Once you're comfortable in the water you can practice slinging a 40. It's not difficult to get good at it. One or two dives with it and it will be second nature.

Whether it's your 5th dive or your 5000th dive, having a redundant air source is NEVER a bad idea. Anyone who can give me a logical excuse for a redundant air source being a bad idea should run for president in 2016 because no one will be able to beat you in a debate.

Many on this board have objected to something like a spare air because of its inadequate gas supply and that it may embolden the user to push his back gas supply. Some have even told their stories of how they had fallen victim to such foolishness.

In any event, I have always felt that some air was better than no air.

The spare air is a good concept it gives you enough air to get back to or reasonably close to the surface before it runs out and you cesa from there. However anytime you are running deep solo or where stops are required it is not going to be enough. Your pony spare air bailout should never be part of your planned gas supply. It should be planned to be used as a reserve only and large enough for the planned dive as bailout.

Personally I find my 19cf to be well sized for the dives in usually doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider a Spare Air to be a redundant air source. A few breaths in case the poo hits the spinning turbine but not a true redundant air source.

A pony shoukd never never be used in dive planning. Totally agree with this point. Gas planning for a dive should never take a pony into account.

The Sherwood air bleed system insures that water does not get into the regular first stage, therefore the reg has to be pressurized whenever you are in the water. It bleeds 13to17 cc of air per min which equates to about .03 cuft of air per hour. If it bleeds much more air than this or no air, it needs service. I use my old '80's Magnum on my pony because it was the most reliable reg I ever met. I have the newer '09 version Blizzard as my main reg now.

I think it was a great design as there is no seawater inside the reg to cause corrosion or other problems. The air loss is minimal, and you always know it's working right because everyone tells you that your reg is leaking.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

EXACTLY! That old first stage is a WORKHORSE! I used one for several years for commercial golf ball diving. It got drug through the mud and cycled through who knows how many inhalation cycles... once a year i would lubricate the piston Oring.. I use one for a pony now too.

Not a good choice if you leave the tank valve off, but if you leave the pony on all the time while diving.. A very good choice in my experience. The second stages... not so good, they crack with a moderate amount of abuse.

Also, as someone who uses a pony all the time, you don't need more than a 13 if you are going straight up from 100 ft with no deco stops.. Do the math and figure it out.

This is a video I shot of myself using 1/2 of a 13 cu-ft pony bottle and I went from the surface to 60 feet and back and did a ton of swimming while on the bottom.. Camera is on a speargun, so the perspective is strange.

[video=youtube_share;r-L9extLDZQ]http://youtu.be/r-L9extLDZQ[/video]
http://youtu.be/r-L9extLDZQ

Not sure anyone would argue that redundancy is bad, least of all myself. And I do not mean to discourage the OP from pursuing their plan. But I do encourage him/her to learn more about ponies BEFORE they jump right into purchasing gear and using it without any guidance. As others have pointed out, there is a bit of a learning curve, especially if the OP has never had to purchase or maintain their own gear.

So far, I have not noticed trim issues between 13, 19, 30 or 40. For me at least, they all seem the same in the water. But on land and boat, a 13 to 19 cf pony is far easier to manage.

I don't consider a Spare Air to be a redundant air source. A few breaths in case the poo hits the spinning turbine but not a true redundant air source.

A pony shoukd never never be used in dive planning. Totally agree with this point. Gas planning for a dive should never take a pony into account.

So, you think no air is better than a spare air? POTUS!!!

I guess my pony does enter into my gas planning. When both my buddy and I are carrying ponies, I do no plan my back gas for him.

RE: Sherwood bleed system.

If the bleed system keeps water out of the first stage, does that mean other brands without the bleed feature leak air into the first stage?

agreed with all of the above. I highly recommend swinging down to Dive Gear Express in Pompano. Dive Shops are a dive a dozen in that part of Fl, but most are pretty awful and DGX is a wonderful shop. They will have all the gear that you could ever need and will really make sure you only get what you need and what will last. They do have multiple options for bony bottles, rigging methods, and regulators. It is worth the hour drive to get there, I promise you that

I thought DGX was online only after splitting from Fill Express, and Fill Express went out of business? At least there was a thread about it. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/497702-fill-express.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom